Gibson Brands Forums

Change Pots on Standard Faded

Xuestor

I'm about to remove my pots on my Standard faded les paul, and I am a little confused.

This is what I've done:

Desoldered solderpoints.

removed knob/washer/bolt.

Now I thought it was just to push the pot out, but no, It seems to be stuck somewhere, but I don't know why.

I have the model with the steelplate at the bottom of the cavity.

How do I loosen the pot?

The pots are also bolted to the steel plate within the control cavity. You need to free all four pots from the body and de-solder the earth link to the bridge posts. Then if you unscrew the jack socket from it's mounting plate you should have enough room to turn the whole steel plate over and get at the nuts. Be careful though, de-solder any other wires that might be tight (such as the pickup wires) as you don't want to damage any terminals.

They are 300 not 500' date=' I guess that's why he wants to change them...

[/quote']

Well, I didn't know that. I assumed they were 500K as the overall tone of the Standard Fadeds is really bright for a Les Paul with the stock configuration. I can't imagine a brighter Les Paul myself, that's why I kept the electronics stock on the Faded.

Well' date=' I didn't know that. I assumed they were 500K as the overall tone of the Standard Fadeds is really bright for a Les Paul with the stock configuration. I can't imagine a brighter Les Paul myself, that's why I kept the electronics stock on the Faded.

[/quote']

That's why I have kept mine as well... plenty of brightness in there...

I will check those pots again and confirm they are 300k, Ive read in lots of places and books how gibsons originally used 500K and how that's what has to be used with humbuckers... BUT, now they use 300k for all the USA line... I cant understand why =P~

Ok.

It's strange indeed...they should use 500K pots (especially for Les Pauls).

I consider the Standard Faded as one of those exceptions on the 500K pot rule.

I really didn't notice they used 300K pots for the Standard Faded, cause the guitar

didn't have any problems with a dark or muffled tone. It's really a fresh and open

sounding guitar, even stock.

The 300K pots make most Les Pauls sound far too dark and undefined, especially

in the neck position. They can give serious problems regarding the tonal balance

of the Les Paul.

They started using 300K Linear Pots in the early 70's Norlin era.

The Taper is all wrong IMHO - they seem to control 80% of the volume between "0" and "4"

"Real" Les Pauls (1953-1961, 1968-1970) all used 500K Audio taper Pots.

These are what I grew up with, When I got my 1972 Les Paul Standard - first week of ownership I installed 500K Audio Taper Volume pots and never looked back.

FWIW - 500K Audio Taper pots are what a real 1959 Les Paul Standard came with.

Currently I think they are using 300K linear taper for volume pots and 500K audio taper for tone.

In late '73 they switched to 300K volume and tone pots per this schematic

Les Paul wiring schematic

Also, they have used 100K tone pots in the late '70's to early 80's.

I think you will find that the 500K volume pots will really open up the sound of the pickups and with some nice PIO caps the brightness people think they will get with switching to 500K volumes pots will not be all that bad.

Also, play with your pickup height.

Just my .02

Archived