Gibson Brands Forums

Style Vibrato With Arm and Cover, Nickel

jimmiJAMM

Obviously there's gonna be some drilling involved but are these things installed easily enough on say, an '07 Standard? Has anyone thrown one of these on their axe? If so, (all dive-bombing aside) do they work well for subtle tremolo accents?

http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-tremolo-tailpieces-tp-3680-001,Product.asp

Thanks!

They're on 5 of my 7 SG's, and I love 'em. You may wanna' search the archives for more details I'd posted before, but seriously, as long as you make sure your guitar's burr-free (at the nut and saddles, or get a roller-saddle bridge) and you take a little time to get acquainted with the Vibrola, you'll love it. And you CAN do more than just wavering subtle notes if you lube your nut (no jokes, ladies) and have a roller-saddle bridge. I abuse the hell outta' mine and have few-to-no tuning issues, in the studio OR live. You'll have to add a few screw holes, and yeah, your stopbar holes on either a Standard OR a '61 would only peek out around the top-edge a little, and most people wouldn't notice or care. Enjoy it, man!

H-Bomb

Thx' date=' hbomb! Is it a big deal to throw one of these suckers on? Do they perform well and not knock it outta tune everytime ya lean on it?[/quote']

Installation's no biggie (just make sure to drill pilot holes!), just make sure it's on straight...you can use strings or even fishing line on the 1st and 6th string positions to determine it's straight when mounting it. And no, if you maintain the guitar and take a little time to learn how to use it, you're not gonna' be out of tune when you use it. I had my bar scraping my pickguard on my Angus last Saturday night at a show, and when I got done with the song I checked and guess what? STILL IN TUNE! Use it like you hate it and it'll love you. =D>

So Hbomb' date=' which would you say shows the stop bar holes more after the vibrola has been installed, the '61 or Standard?[/quote']

I don't think there are any differences in the stopbar placement on the '61 versus the Standard (but I'll admit I've never pulled out the tape measure...for that purpose anyway...lol), so it should be the same. You won't see the lower hole because the arm-pivot is there, and it'll only peak about half-circle out from the bass-side. I know people who've found interesting and decorative ways to fill the holes too, but honestly, few will notice. You'll be the only one worried about it when the lights go on and the drummer counts off. :P

H-Bomb

Archived