Gibson Brands Forums

My First Gibson

Howlin4Hubert

Hello All!

After lurking in the forums for awhile I finally decided to join, partly because I finally brought my first Gibson.

It is a beautiful Dark Fire that I can't believe I own. I still haven't even really pulled it out of the box or had a chance play yet but I took a few pics and thought I would share them. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Toby

MyDarkFire-01.jpg

MyDarkFire-02.jpg

MyDarkFire-03.jpg

MyDarkFire-04.jpg

MyDarkFire-05.jpg

MyDarkFire-06.jpg

I just joined as well after years of "just reading" so welcome...it looks like you're the first around here of a newer generation with that robot of yours replacing my 1960 classic, haha...*b... i hear its all digital, I'm curious though as to the specs (aka the guts) on those pickups?>>>>what's it made out of?*b...and welcome again

in-good-time and howlin4hubert,

Welcome to the forum; we're a friendly group! BTW, the Dark Fire is not all digital; it's basically analog. Ask our moderator, Elanrtric, and he'll make it all clear (or lurk a bit and read past threads; he's (and other members) already covered most questions). Our other members are very knowledgeable also. You came to the right place; welcome aboard!

Howlin4Hubert,

Don't give that toggle a second thought; it's perfect (I checked your photos very closely). I think AndyRdam doesn't realize it's a 3-position switch and just looks that way when you choose specific pickup positions. In fact, I recommend you always position that toggle in the down (bridge) position before storing your guitar in its case; this will position it toward the crown of the case and protect it against possible shocks in transit. You've a beautiful Dark Fire!

AndyRdam,

Oh gee, Andy, I'm wrong (sorry), I didn't realize you were concerned about the label instead of the toggle. But, I don't think the text in your picture is quite *perfectly* aligned to the neck either (it's about 3 degrees off). I suggest you get at that right away (if it bothers you so much); but don't let it interfere with your music, your expression, or your soul! Peace! But that is beautiful figure in the wood on your guitar (is that your guitar?) I didn't know they were available in Europe yet; if so, many people will be very happy to learn of it! Please let us know!

Still, there is a big difference between the advertised pic and the darkfires shipped actually. I'm not saying that Howlin4Hubert's is not a nice looking guitar, because it is, but it is totally different from what we can expect.

Am I the only one to feel that surprised ?

Not at all. Based on the limited results of the Poll I posted right now about 50% of the DFs turn up with a top matching or exceeding the [early] advertising shots. Rest goes downhill from there on. So if at all possible one should select at the dealer.

I would LOVE to have gotten one with the figure in that Gibson stock picture and I agree that my DF doesn't have that much figure. I guess that is one downside with a limited edition run, especially with the limited shipping of the DF's, that you don't get much choice in store. This was the only one my local dealer had. But I will say that I'm very happy with the figure my DF does have and think it is incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately it's now looking like I won't get to keep it. =D>

Archived