Gibson Brands Forums

Another tuner question

harmonicchaos

I know this is based mostly on opinion but i wanted to know if schallers were really worth the extra $$$ over grovers. Do they make a noticeable difference over grovers? They're almost 2 times the price. If they really seem worth it I may go ahead with them but if it is something more trivial then I'll just go with the grovers.

And I feel bad because i know there was a topic about this a while back but i can't find it. Sorry.

I know this is based mostly on opinion but i wanted to know if schallers were really worth the extra $$$ over grovers. Do they make a noticeable difference over grovers? They're almost 2 times the price. If they really seem worth it I may go ahead with them but if it is something more trivial then I'll just go with the grovers.

And I feel bad because i know there was a topic about this a while back but i can't find it. Sorry.

I can´t tell you which ones I like best, because they are all doing their job well. But I can tell you that on all my guitars the Grovers are and were as good as the Schallers. So my opinion is that you can save the extra money. And anyway, if you don´t have any particular problems with your tuners, don´t change `em. It´s a waste of money. Most tuning issues on Gibbys are caused by improper nut slots. I never saw a faulty tuning machine in 30 years playing. But ofcourse it could happen.

Greetings

Kurt

Havent come along a faulty tuning machine either... (in over 20 years of playing). the ones Ive seen that were deffective were that way because the guitar's owner didnt take care of her (one guy even smashed the headstock to the floor and had the balls to whine about how cheap those tuners were to just break down on him with no previous warning).

As noted by the guys above, locking tuners are a waste of money... I will even go as far as saying if you really need to change the tuners that came stock with your guitar, you are better of changing the guitar (only guitars with "crappy" tuners are under $100 and it doesnt make sense to invest 100 on tuners for a $99 P.O.S.)

Archived