Gibson Brands Forums

1952 LG-2

Laurasdad

Complete resto? What condition is it in now? A refinish would likely cost more than the guitar is worth. And paradoxically, a refinished guitar is worth about 1/2 what it would be in original finish, regardless of how shabby the original lacquer might be. Of course if it is in pieces and needs repair to be playable, that is a different situation.

I have taken some pics of the guitar and the areas of concern. I am very interested in keeping it as original as possible. The knobs for the tuning machines are crumbling. The bridge is coming off of the top. The button for the strap is broken off, and there is a small crack near the pick guard. The guitar has been in an attic for some 40 years. Would like to get it cleaned up and made playable. I am more interested in making the guitar playable than I am in having it look brand new.

Ok, the only things you need to address are the tuner and strap buttons, and the bridge. The crack is mostly cosmetic and typical for a 50+ year old guitar. You should be able to get the buttons replaced and the bridge re-glued for a couple hundred dollars, maybe a little more. Don't let anyone talk you into refinishing it! If you really want to address the crack, that would be another $50-$100 to address properly, but it might need the pickguard removed and re-attached, as the crack is probably caused by shrinking P/G. "Mission creep." I've got two guitars with the P/G off for this reason right now, an LG-3 and a J-50.

The high book value is about $2700 so you can put a few hundred into it and still be right side up.

Brian, Thnaks. I cannot figure out how to post pictures or they would be up. Any recommedations for who might be appropriate for this repair? I and the guitar are located in Pennsylvania. I have the original case and just purchased a hard plastic case for shipment. I was condsidering sending this to Gibson repair in Nashville...thoughts?

I sent my 72' J-45 deluxe to Nashville for neck reset and fret job. They reglued some bracing. They did not feel that a refinish job was the right thing to do. It was ugly when I sent it to them but unplayable. Now it sounds and plays great. I have had it back about 18 months. It is still ugly but I play for the sound not the looks. I was very pleased with Gibson Nashville people and quality of work. It was way too expensive but I 've had the guitar for over thirty years and would never consider selling it.

I was hoping someone who lives in your region would jump in. It would be best to find someone you can hand the guitar and talk to. Gibson repair would be in Bozeman, MT, wouldn't it? Gibson is always an option, or any number of nationally-known luthiers, but you'd have to pack the guitar carefully, and they won't give you an estimate until they get the guitar, and it might take months to get it back.

What's the nearest city to you? Can anyone near NE PA help out here?

Contact Fred Oster at Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia. VI doesn't do guitar repairs, afaik (specializes in violins, violas, etc.), but they do sell quality vintage guitars and can give you a recommendation.He lists two on his site. His information page: http://www.vintage-instruments.com/navigate/whoisvi.htm

On the repairs, a guitar that's spent 40+ years in an attic is likely to need more repairs than you mention. For instance, it would not be uncommon for it to have a few loose braces that need to be re-glued, and need a neck reset. It's also not uncommon for it to need some bridge plate repair from wear at the pin holes. It will also likely need a re-fret, or at a minimum, the frets dressed. You might also want to get a new bone compensated saddle made to improve intonation. As others have said, don't let anyone touch the finish. Any good repairman though will give the guitar a good thorough (and careful) cleaning.

If you were willing to ship the guitar, I would recommend Dennis Berck in Eugene, Oregon (541-686-5007). One of the best in the country, imo. He recently did a complete restoration of a 1949 Southern Jumbo for me and the work was superb. Hope that helps.

Dennis

PS: I forgot to add, Gibson repair would probably be my last choice to work on a vintage instrument. Not that they don't do good work, but vintage is not their speciality.

Neck set, re-fret, bridge plate repairs ... you have to draw the line somewhere on a guitar that's only worth so relatively little. Normally a neck reset is optional, as many people can live with a high action especially if they mostly strum open chords. Frets are usually somewhat worn, but unless they are buzzing they can be left alone, or leveled and dressed. Bridge plates w/ worn string holes can be left forever by simply slipping glass beads over the strings before installing them. A loose brace often can be left alone if it is not rattling, or does not threaten to get worse, or threaten a related component.

In any case, once you find a repairman you like and trust, he'll give you the list of deficiencies and prices invloved, and you'll have to decide for yourself! A good luthier will help you make sensible choices, rather than just gladly take your money.

Archived