Gibson Brands Forums

Would you buy this SG?

mosswalker

I understand where you are coming from, but for nearly $1800... I think not! If I pay that kind of "new" Gibson money, for an SG, I'd expect nothing but the best - and that includes all cosmetics. Like many were claiming, if the price was right (i..e lowered considerably) and it was only a cosmetic issue, then it would be considerable. Sorry, I just have to disagree with what some of your points here in terms of being that this guitar is considerable for the price the OP claimed it was selling for. Just think if you tried to sell it, you'd have to disclose that and people would demand a discount, or you'd sit on it. I mean, what if you wanted to keep it, you're just not in a good position either way. What if you find out down the road that the thing was a structural issue, then you have that mess to deal with... There are plenty of fish in the sea these days, and passing this up is the right thing to do. Let Sweetwater deal with this crap - don't let them pawn something defective on a customer.

It's all cool. Thank you for being so civil expressing your disagreement. Like I said, I'd be hesitant, but for the right discount I'd probably go for it. But yeah, there are so many flawless guitars out there that it would be hard to justify the purchase of the one OP posted. But again, I believe with Sweetwater you'd get both theirs and Gibson's warranty.

I think the way it usually works is that Sweetwater gets in touch with Gibson when there's a question about finish/structural issues on a particular guitar. Then Gibson determines if it's just a finish issue, and if it is, then the guitar is sold and it's warrantied. That's how they did it when I bought a Les Paul recently with a finish issue. If there's a structural problem with the guitar then I don't think Gibson will let them sell it. It probably just gets returned.

That's what makes me believe it's possible that it's just a cosmetic issue and not a structural one. I'd still be hesitant. But again, it's Sweetwater and I'd be surprised if they ever allow a customer to be stuck with a bad guitar.

Archived