Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire Headstock

Liystalander

never played a Supreme.

Its what Gibson started using on 2008 LP Standards

just search Gibson site for "asymmetrical " - they use it on other models - perhaps GC Oxnard carries other models with the new asymmetrical neck profile.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but I started as a bass player. Picked up guitar for fun' date=' as I found that bass by itself is a bit boring...[/quote']

Yes, bass on its own is boring. Try it along with a Testarossa, I hear they make a great couple! Sorry kid, couldn't help busting your chops. If you think bass is boring do yourself a favor and listen to SMV - Thunder. Your perspective on bass or should I say bass[es] will change forever!

SMV - Thunder

wow .. didn't even know they were touring together, so sad the tour is finished, would have loved to see this live .. hope they will play in Montreux this year or go on another tour together ...

thx so much for this link !

I was lucky. Missed the show in Tokyo but was going to Singapore for a business trip and they turned up there. They were just amazing. I also have the album and its great but its not the same as the live event. I hope they tour again and you get to see them. Truly an amazing event. 3 virtuosos on the same stage but it never gets dull.

Yes' date=' I do, but at the same time, I'm already getting a Dark Fire. $200 I could probably justify with my dad. $2500, forget about it.

That does look like a fantastic guitar. Very nice indeed, but I'm not really an acoustic guy. They are more challenging to play, though, I'll give you that.

As for the asymmetrical neck profile, is it anything like my Supreme was, elantric?[/quote']

Btw, the guitar pictured here is roughly around 4,000$ and it is a "Boucher" Made In Quebec guitar. One of the world'd best acoustics IMHO.

at $2500 - there are many to choose from.

recall the target audience -

Plus I would never recommend a +$2K instrument as "my first acoustic guitar" to anyone' date=' let alone Liystalander - a 14 yr old.[/quote']

Elantric, what would you recommend as a first acoustic guitar? I have my younger brother (17) who is interested in buying a good acoustic guitar. Budget is around 500$.

Does the Fender you posted fit the bill?

Larivee' date='Godin or Seagull[/quote']

All right. Thanks for the advice. Godin and Seagul (made by Godin as well) are very well recommended here since they are Quebec made.

I will look into them for him.

Why nylon? I don't think he like that sound. he is more into pop.

i'm guessing they suggest nylon because it won't hurt his fingers so badly but will allow him to develop calluses. lots of the kids i used to teach would quit because their fingers hurt too badly. Kids these days are too into xbox and playstation to understand you may have to actually put effort into learning an instrument... it's not pick up a controller and you're yngwie malmsteen

I too was thinking about the soft & weak fingers when I bought my 2 daughters (8 & 12) nylon string classic guitars. They weren't very interested. Then my wife figured it out and we bought them 2 electric guitars and now they are playing on a daily basis. They don't seem to care much about the hurting fingers. Moral of the story, buy & play what inspires and motivates.

Point well-taken, MCK, but an acoustic is what Alouf specifically requested (right on boardusmcer). Admittedly, if Alouf's brother doesn't like the tone, then he won't be inspired, and *may* quit. If his instrument hurts him badly, he *will* quit. This is not a permanent choice; any decent dealer will probably allow him full value on trade-in 3-6 months down the line. Refer again to the url in my previous post (re: McCabe's).

Many years ago, in a land far away (as I've said before on this forum), I put my wife and myself through college teaching people to play almost anything with strings. Those who started their (guitar) lessons with nylon-stringed instruments *invariably* kept with it and, eventually, became accomplished musicians (although many eventually changed to steel-stringed instruments, which are my personal preference). Those who *started* with steel-stringed guitars, *often* quit (complaining of the pain, and their instruments were well set-up). I prefer to see a new student acquire basic skills as easily/painlessly as possible, then make an informed decision as to what they want to play in the long run with their new abilities.

Alouf. Why don't you show this thread to your brother, and let your brother decide for himself what he likes?

Elantric' date=' what would you recommend as a first acoustic guitar? I have my younger brother (17) who is interested in buying a good acoustic guitar. Budget is around 500$.

Does the Fender you posted fit the bill?[/quote']

I recently got a Ovation Celebrity Series CC245 12-string Acoustic for X-mas It was only for around $400-$500. Here's a pic http://www.zozomusic.com/musicstore/pc/catalog/cc245_1801_general.gif

i can't figure out how to put pics in the forums but this is it. It is a great guitar and sounds amazing. Go to your local Guitar Center and look aroung in the Acoustic Room and you'll see guitars will round, bowl-like backs. There very good guitars for any player.

CanadaBoy23,

Your suggestion of a 12-string as a *first* guitar guarantees pain, frustration, and failure. You can play one (I assume), I can play one (certainly, for many decades actually), but no beginner should ever be subjected to that sort of abuse! Remember, we have callouses and strong fingers, as well as arm muscles, built from years of hard and long playing; no beginner can cope with this.

Remember, alouf's original post was: "Elantric, what would you recommend as a first acoustic guitar? I have my younger brother (17) who is interested in buying a good acoustic guitar. Budget is around 500$."

A 12-string; no way!!! (refer to my McCabe's link previously)

Point well-taken' date=' MCK, but an acoustic is what Alouf specifically requested (right on boardusmcer). Admittedly, if Alouf's brother doesn't like the tone, then he won't be inspired, and *may* quit. If his instrument hurts him badly, he *will* quit. This is not a permanent choice; any decent dealer will probably allow him full value on trade-in 3-6 months down the line. Refer again to the url in my previous post (re: McCabe's).

Many years ago, in a land far away (as I've said before on this forum), I put my wife and myself through college teaching people to play almost anything with strings. Those who started their (guitar) lessons with nylon-stringed instruments *invariably* kept with it and, eventually, became accomplished musicians (although many eventually changed to steel-stringed instruments, which are my personal preference). Those who *started* with steel-stringed guitars, *often* quit (complaining of the pain, and their instruments were well set-up). I prefer to see a new student acquire basic skills as easily/painlessly as possible, then make an informed decision as to what they want to play in the long run with their new abilities.

Alouf. Why don't you show this thread to your brother, and let your brother decide for himself what he likes?[/quote']

Great points. I fully agree with you and thats why I got the nylon string guitars in the first place. Kids these days are unpredictable that's all. Keep well.

I too was thinking about the soft & weak fingers when I bought my 2 daughters (8 & 12) nylon string classic guitars. They weren't very interested. Then my wife figured it out and we bought them 2 electric guitars and now they are playing on a daily basis. They don't seem to care much about the hurting fingers. Moral of the story' date=' buy & play what inspires and motivates.[/quote']

Buy and play what inspires and motivates.

Best advice here. :o)

speaking from experience.

ive got 5 and 9 yr olds.

exactly the same story they wanna play what they wanna play.

my 5 yr old just makes a noise but it's better than her crying,

and maybee she will copy her bro given time. lol :o)

MCK and Rockin'365,

I agree with both of you completely; wise words and decisions totally! Again, the original request was for advice on an acoustic for an absolute beginner. Obviously, it's much easier to play an electric, and that may (or not) be what we (or others) prefer, but that wasn't the specified instrument of the original question. Probably, this question really belongs on an acoustic forum; it's pretty off-topic here (and wandering farther). grins!

The headstock inlay looks very real to me.

From the audience's perspective - the Dark Fire looks like a very spectacular and expensive guitar.

That's good because from my perspective it IS a very spectacular and expensive guitar.

](*,)

Charlie

CanadaBoy23' date='

Your suggestion of a 12-string as a *first* guitar guarantees pain, frustration, and failure. You can play one (I assume), I can play one (certainly, for many decades actually), but no beginner should ever be subjected to that sort of abuse! Remember, we have callouses and strong fingers, as well as arm muscles, built from years of hard and long playing; no beginner can cope with this.

Remember, alouf's original post was: "Elantric, what would you recommend as a first acoustic guitar? I have my younger brother (17) who is interested in buying a good acoustic guitar. Budget is around 500$."

A 12-string; no way!!! (refer to my McCabe's link previously)[/quote']

I didn't suggest that he get a 12-string as a beginner, I was saying the Ovation acoustic guitars are great guitars for any player, beginner or advanced, and that Ovation has other acoustics that are 6-strings and that they are affordable.

CanadaBoy23,

That's not the way I read your post; forgive me if I misunderstood. FWIW, to my ears and fingers, Ovations sound like shallow plastic facsimiles of guitars, and play about the same, but many people like them (and I'm glad they do), and they are affordable to many. I'm happy you're inspired by your 12-string. Hopefully, there's room in this world for many different tastes. We have strayed seriously off-topic, and for Liystalander, who started this thread, yes, the DF headstock inlays are all genuine mother-of-pearl inlays.

Since you've seen fit to list your instruments to establish your perspective, here's a list of mine to establish my perspective...just for (off-topic) kicks, I'll start with some acoustics:

1934 Martin Herringbone D28 (original)

1920s Maurer Tree-of-Life (Larson Brothers, Chicago) (original); for a photo, check Rick Ruskin's first album; that's my guitar on the cover and my signature on the cover photo (don't miss Rick's excellent playing)

ca 1910 Fairbanks Whyte Ladye #7 5-string Banjo (original)

1920s Gibson Arch-top 5-string banjo with resonator conversion (from 4-string) with Vega-scale neck and Scruggs tuners

1960s Epiphone Jumbo 12-string (original)

1960s Martin D12-35 (original)

2008 Cole-Clark FL-3 Acoustic/Electric

A very nice fiddle (labelled Stradivarius) LOL, but it sounds and plays nice

2 Recording King 000-size Acoustic guitars (for thrashing around in hostile environments...they're actually quite nice)

1950s Oscar Schmidt Model A Autoharp (lowered chord bars for playing Carter/Stoneman style)

2008 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman 6122-59 Electric

2008 Line 6 Variax 700 6-string guitar Electric

2008 Line 6 Variax 700 4-string Bass Electric

2009 Gibson Dark Fire Electric

Hohner Marine Band Harmonicas in every key ever made

Comb (brand unkown) and wax paper (brand unimportant) kazoo

Washtub Bass

Washboard

Spoons

A whole kitchen full of percussion instruments, variously tuned (some tunable)

Various other percussion instruments (tambourines, marimba, maracas, glasses filled with various liquids (player's choice), etc.)

A very resonant stainless steel kitchen sink (resonates in G, D, or A depending upon where you whomp (technical term) it)

I almost forgot the wood floor; some people tap, others clog)...and hands clapping too! I hope I covered it, but I probably forgot something!!! Grins and giggles (gawd, I love making, and listening to, music!) I'm glad all ya'all do too!!! Cheers!

Archived