Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 CE Strap Button Issues

radioscooter

I haven't been on this forum in forever. Don't know why but I am not permitted to use the "search" function or I'd have spent some time doing so rather than just posting a new question like it's never been posed before. Always dislike that on other forums, but the system will not let me search so...

Just got an Epiphone EJ-200 CE - I've got an old 70's era Guild Jumbo and have owned Gibson J-200's and other Jumbos in the pasty - they're my favorite performance guitars. Over the years I realized a couple things - 1. I beat on guitars when I take them out live and I'm not willing to take my vintage Guild out anymore. 2. There aren't a ton of low-price jumbos that sound very good for casual gigging.

I tried the EJ 200 CE sight unseen, got it from Sam Ash and was surprised - instantly out of the box it tuned up and played great. All good. Fell in love with a $385 acoustic with not even bad electronics in it! Great! However - I'm unsure how others have dealt with this or if I'm just being dense or not doing it right. I can't for the life of me get a standard leather (Couch) strap hole over the end-pin/jack/strap button. Can anyone direct me to other threads where this is covered OR if this is new, can anyone advise on how they got around it or what I'm doing wrong? I've never had quite this tight a fit before on dozens of guitars and don't want to just render the strap hole useless and worn out if I should be doing it differently.

Thanks!

post-6437-071693200 1556586446_thumb.jpg

I always make a slight cut with a scissors outward from the hole on the leather or whatever material it is, at the end the strap, to make the hole on the strap slightly larger. After that, the straps always fit snugly over and onto the strap button.

Just my way of handling too small of a hole on the end of straps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

• 2 months later...

Agree this, and the weird position of the button at the other end of the strap (which causes the guitar to lean away from you if standing) are such basic flaws in the guitar. I love everything about it, but these issues with being able to stand and play are pretty fundamental and are making me consider whether to return a guitar bought just the other day.

I have a love/hate relationship with this guitar - I'll only address the end pin issues here (maybe).  I bought it from Sweetwater and I'm surprised it made it past their inspector...fit and finish is sub par in my opinion. So the end pin is huge, not only too big for the standard strap "hole" but it has a strange lip inside. When I plugged in a Line 6 wireless rig, the pin that triggers the connection wouldn't seat and turn the unit on...later I found out that the L6 included a right angle adapter that did improve the connection. But that doesn't solve the size issue...it's gigantic and I had to butcher the strap hole to get it over the pin; less than Ideal. It also seems that the end pin won't stay tight. I've repeatedly removed the outer ring and tighten the inner nut replaced the outer ring and before long the outer ring is loose again and the whole thing just spins. It may have something to do with the size of the pin and the tight fit of the strap...it just unscrews it. Okay while I'm at it I'll go ahead and mention the other short comings of the instrument. It's heavy. The other strap button being on the heel is odd and the guitar tips over so to speak (as mentioned by another reviewer) why they put it there is beyond my ability to comprehend. When I received the guitar the fingerboard and the bridge were very light colored...I thought it was just the type of wood. Upon further inspection I found the wood to be parched...dried out. Loads of Yamaha instrument lemon oil darken it slightly; after repeated applications it continues to drink it up. Not only that there are water marks or something around frets 9 - 13 that apparently have "lifted" the frets so i get terrible string buzz...truss rod adjustments to no avail. Maybe i got a lemon or something...a buddy of mine bought the same guitar from another vendor - his is much nicer than mine. Lastly, i don't know what possessed Epiphone to put a mag pick up in it...Jumbos are sometimes boomy anyway; I find the mag pick up is basically useless. I keep it pretty much dialed out and full on the under saddle flex. So there it is...the guitar is beautiful, i love the tobacco burst and J-200 like decoration on the pick guard. It plays pretty good in standard tuning in the first position but if I go down the neck or to drop D the string buzz is distracting to say the least. Thanks for letting me vent : )

Edited by Dizzy Sheppard
typos and omissions