Gibson Brands Forums

LTD ES 335 Pro Wiring

GordonB

Hoping someone can help solve a problem.

The toggle switch on my 335 was intermittent in the middle position, seemed to be fine otherwise.

So, I got myself a replacement switch, on the original reading left to right with the hot wires at the top, it was;

White - White - Red With all the screens connected together and soldered to the switch "leg" directly below.

I marked the middle white wire with a blue marker.

It's now working OK to switch neck to bridge, but the middle position is strange, I'll try to make this as clear as I can.

Switch in the middle position;

Both volume 0 - no sound - OK

Neck volume 10 - bridge 0 - no sound - ??

Neck 10 - bridge anything above 0 and the neck volume pot works as it should.

Bridge 10 - neck 0 - no sound

Bridge 10 neck anything above 0 and the bridge pot works as it should.

In the above scenario the pots don't seem to be as progressive as they should, they're limited almostbut not quite like switches all or nothing.

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be, before I pull all the wiring out and start from scratch?

Edited by GordonB

This is normal function.. When the selector switch is in mid position either volume control will shut off both pickups. Also the 335 Pro is normally setup with Coil tap on the bridge and neck volume controls. Using push/pull pots so you can pull up on the volume knobs and get single coil sound.. The push/pulls are mini pots  (potentiometers) that are smaller than normal pots and rectangular.  These push/pulls are more sensitive than full sized pots when turning to zero and even more sensitive when the pickup selector switch is in mid position, meaning one volume control will shut off both pickups well before reaching zero...............

read ES 335 Pro Specifications....

335PRO-Elec.jpg

.....................from spec page..................
Alnico Classic PRO™ Power
Epiphone always finds a way to make improvements on classic designs and the Ltd. Ed. ES-335 PRO is no exception. Now featuring Epiphone Alnico Classic PRO™ 4-wire humbuckers in the neck and bridge positions, the Ltd. Ed. ES-335 PRO offers a tonal palette that far exceeds any other guitar of its kind or of its era. The Alnico Classic PROs™ feature Alnico V magnets for terrific humbucker sustain with a huge dynamic range that can go from clean to crunch at a touch. And now, for the first time, the Ltd. Ed. ES-335 PRO features coil-splitting on both pickups via a push/pull control on the pickups' volume controls.
Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification, saved me removing the lot and re-wiring.

I was aware of the coil tapping, it's one of the reasons I bought the guitar, the single coil "sound", clarity, without the "janngle" of a Strat.

From the info you've given me, I think at some time in the future I may re-wire it anyhow, with CTS pots and ye old cloth wire, I'll see how exactly the 2 volume pots intereact and try to workout how to make them a more progressive taper, if they are now in parallel that would explain also why there's definite treble bleed with the switch in the middle.

BTW what does LPDC stand for? Obviously it's not a "cup of tea".

6 hours ago, GordonB said:

BTW what does LPDC stand for? Obviously it's not a "cup of tea".

LPDC = Les Paul Double Cut.. or sometimes said Les Paul DC ..

plSH6oW.jpg

Enjoy your 335 Pro....[thumbup]

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1