Gibson Brands Forums

GA 30 BLOWING MAINS FUSE

ogeecheeman

this amp (mostly original) was slightly modded.cap job was already in place. the output tubes are EH 6V6 but the rectifier is GZ34. I'm told it was recommended by a tech to give added headroom. well a 6V6 looking at plate voltages from a GZ34 can't be a good thing right. the tube should be a 5Y3. your thoughts are welcomed. by the way the GZ34 was shorted.

Edited by ogeecheeman
additional info

A GZ34 is a little harder on 6V6's.  But the fuse blowing thing - that's probably just due to a shorting tube.  Pull the power tubes and rectifier.  Install a new fuse, turn it on to check that the fuse doesn't blow.  Then put the rectifier in and power up to check the fuse.  If that's ok, then put the power tubes back in and power it up and see if the fuse blows.  If the fuse blows, you can tell if one of the tubes is shorting.

Edited by badbluesplayer

thanks for the tip.tried these things because the GZ34 was in fact shorted but the EH 6V6's ,which spec at 475 plate volts, checked ok. not sure but isn't the fuse a 2amp? I have a 5Y3 & a 6V6 pair on the way. not a re-branded 5Y3. figured I'd try a little less plate VDC on these old trannys and see. If it doesn't hold perhaps a SS rectifier? your thoughts appreciated.