Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my '85 Rhode Island-made Guild

hellion102792

1985 Guild D-17m, made in Westerly before Fender bought them out. Spent a long time in a closet in my dad's studio; he bought it back in the '80s, decided he didn't like it, and put it in storage. He put it in my care a couple years ago.

It plays pretty good, it could use an adjustment soon but it's fine where it is now. Just took off the rusty set of strings I put on last year for a fresh set of Martins, and I figured I'd grab my bro's camera and take some pics.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Aannd while I had the camera out I couldn't resist taking a little beauty shot of my SG :)

DSC_0010.jpg

The only other RI Guild I've played was a used 12-string at Guitar Center, and it played great too. It's too bad the factory closed before I was even born, I wish they were still making them.

I can look out my kitchen window and see their old factory. It is now divided into several small companies...damn shame Fender took away all those jobs like they did, offered to relocate them, but they had been in the area their entire lives and didn't want to pull stakes. Some of the Italian workers families had been within walking distance of the place long before they were making guitars there. I do believe it was a finishing plant for quarried granite that they took locally in several quarries right here in Westerly. Most of the North End where it's located housed stone cutters way back in the day.

I can look out my kitchen window and see their old factory. It is now divided into several small companies...damn shame Fender took away all those jobs like they did' date=' offered to relocate them, but they had been in the area their entire lives and didn't want to pull stakes. Some of the Italian workers families had been within walking distance of the place long before they were making guitars there. I do believe it was a finishing plant for quarried granite that they took locally in several quarries right here in Westerly. Most of the North End where it's located housed stone cutters way back in the day.[/quote']

That's cool you live so close, I forgot you mentioned that you live in Westerly in that snow thread. But yeah, it's a shame. Just another example of a small thriving business being taken over by a conglomerate...

Archived