Gibson Brands Forums

2008 SG Standard Action

SpaceYeti

Somehow when I was changing strings the other day, my action was lowered to none. Since then, I've been trying to get it back to somewhere remotely playable, but I really have no idea where to start. I've adjusted my action before, but I've never had to totally 100% reset it, which is what's making this so challenging.

Anyone know a pretty standard action height for the Standard?

Please and thank you.

You most likely rubbed the tune-o-matic thumbwheels when changing the strings...no worries, it happens from time to time. Different people will tell you different things, but since you probably don't have a scientific or woodworking measurement tool calibrated to 10ths or 100ths you can do what I do in a pinch. I sometimes start at a 1/16" or a little more, but I've recently started using a cheat-method, by sliding my debit card under the 2nd or 3rd fret. raise the height on the T.O.M. till it slides out easily, then adjust to taste from there, making sure you have no fret-outs all the way up. Some guys like more distance than I do, but I don't like having "acoustic action" on my electrics so I have all mine to where they almost buzz in some places (since, after all, ya' can't hear that through the amp). Your preference may differ, so don't be afraid to experiment a little.

H-Bomb

I prefer a little higher action' date=' not "acoustic" but higher than some.

But................

Never, ever, question the H-Bomb about an SG.

Ever.

Murph.[/quote']

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Murph. No flogging today for you. :-

H-Bomb

Thanks for the vote of confidence' date=' Murph. No flogging today for you. :-

H-Bomb[/quote']

Ha....

Rock on H-Bomb. I think we're on the same page when it comes to guitars.

When I want flogging I go into the Lounge and pick a fight with the "children".......

Murph.

Ha....

Rock on H-Bomb. I think we're on the same page when it comes to guitars.

When I want flogging I go into the Lounge and pick a fight with the "children".......

Murph.

Awesome.

And I know whatcha' mean. :)

H-Bomb

I prefer a little higher action' date=' not "acoustic" but higher than some.

But................

Never, ever, question the H-Bomb about an SG.

Ever.

Murph.[/quote']

Hi Murph,

I always wondered what people consider "a little high action"

Out of curiosity how high do you have your action on the 12th fret for both the low and high E?

Archived