Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number for Epiphone Dove

buddyw

I bought a used Epiphone Dove when l got home with it l looked inside for the seriall number and found a white strip piece of paper over the label with a number and l was polishing the back of the head stock and some black substance came off and  l found 2D stamped.

I contacted Epiphone by email and was asked to send some photographs, l made a web page and emailed the link but never heard back.

l t is  squeaky clean like new stays in tune has the best action for playing an acoustic that i have played.

l would like to just get the info on this guitar.

http://www.allmounts.com/epipone_dove_acoustic_guitar.html

Edited by buddyw

There is a posting string a few posts down started by Leonard McCoy titled Epiphone Serial Number Decoding that in it a bit into the posting string contains some information about a company that refurbished factory seconds (likely what the 2 stands for) and then puts a white sticker over the old serial number.  The info might be relevant to your guitar.  As FYI, I have a 1970s Gibson with a 2 on the back of its neck which research shows was a factory second and according to George Gruhn, the guru of all vintage guitars, factory 2s usually have no discernible reason why they were marked factory seconds and the factory second designation does not devalue the price of the guitar in the vintage guitar market.  It is believed  that its only affect is that the guitar when it was new to its first owner did not carry a factory warrantee.  While not much is known about why Gibson marked some guitars as seconds when they otherwise were fine , some have speculated that the 2s may have meant the guitar may have originally been used as a display model in a store or have been purchased by a factory employee at a reduced employee discount.  While that research pertained to Gibsons, it likely is also applicable to Epiphones, also.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

4 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

There is a posting string a few posts down started by Leonard McCoy titled Epiphone Serial Number Decoding that in it a bit into the posting string contains some information about a company that refurbished factory seconds (likely what the 2 stands for) and then puts a white sticker over the old serial number.  The info might be relevant to your guitar.  As FYI, I have a 1970s Gibson with a 2 on the back of its neck which research shows was a factory second and according to George Gruhn, the guru of all vintage guitars, factory 2s usually have no discernible reason why they were marked factory seconds and the factory second designation does not devalue the price of the guitar in the vintage guitar market.  It is believed  that its only affect is that the guitar when it was new to its first owner did not carry a factory warrantee.  While not much is known about why Gibson marked some guitars as seconds when they otherwise were fine , some have speculated that the 2s may have meant the guitar may have originally been used as a display model in a store or have been purchased by a factory employee at a reduced employee discount.  While that research pertained to Gibsons, it likely is also applicable to Epiphones, also.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I went and read it and they mentioned the paper strip being put over the old serial number. Also listed an example which does work with the guitars serial number.

Example: S3021234 = Samick Korea / 1993 / February / unit 1234

my serial # is         S     1      09     9758

Samick Korea  

September

Unit # 9758

It would be great if  MIRC would have records of production number in years.

Never the less it is a nice guitar I just dont like the brightness of it and i am thinking about making it a natural finish. But since it is probably laminated l am not sure if any thing weird would show up.

Thank you for the information in your post.

Edited by buddyw

On 8/12/2019 at 10:38 AM, RobinTheHood said:

It sounds like a factory 2nd refurbed by MIRC.

Thank you  RTH that expains the white paper strip with the new serial number, l went to their web site and it only addressed being a dealer with them. I would still like to find out from them a year they got the guitar and refurbished it. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:24 PM, buddyw said:

Thank you  RTH that expains the white paper strip with the new serial number, l went to their web site and it only addressed being a dealer with them. I would still like to find out from them a year they got the guitar and refurbished it. 

From what I understand they usually deface the serials before applying their label. Not sure why, exactly. With the serial gone, you can possibly figure out the era of the guitar, but not the precise year.