Gibson Brands Forums

I broke my volume knob. Now what do I do?

BlaZ1n

Well not to bad. Not even sure if I did it. The volume pot for the neck pick doesn't stop anymore. I just pulled it out of the case today and thats how it is. It just spins and spins. And it sounds like HELL when you trurn it up or down. So what do I do? Replace that pot or all four with a matched set? If all four should I change the caps? If so whats good? Also whats the metal plate under the top? Can it go? Last question. Should I do the work myself or have it done?

thanks

Also looking at a rewire. I am looking for kind of a slash sound. I am not sure how much of that sound is the duncans and amps/effects. But if anyone know what kind of rewire is best. Vintage/modern and what caps for that sound. Thanks

id just replace the pot, maybe swapthe wires from the bridge pot with the neck to see if its the pot an not something else thats faulty like loose earth or something daft, although if ya aint handy with a soldering iron or are a bit unsure about what anything is then id take it to someone else, gibsons are a bit too expensive to be pokin aroung inside if ya aint sure,

Before you switch out the pot make sure its not just the plastic top thats stripped and spinning around the pot shaft...

Oh it's the pot. I have a 120w Marshall head and 4x12 cab and it has never made the sounds that it made after I tried to turn it up. my god it was awfull and my Marshall was like wtf are you doing?

Is this the one you just bought and you were wondering if it's gunuine? I know it's used but maybe the place you bought it from will do something.

Well it does have the super high quality Gibson pots in it. I picked up and rs kit lastnight and pulled the old pots out. specs NV ???broke NT 272k BV445k BT471k RS kit NV 505k NT 501k BV 505k BT 503k Boy they sure don't build them like they use to. But charge more than ever.

Archived