Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Chibson?

Hi all. I'm trying to confirm that this Les Paul Supreme is in fact a Chibson and not a real Gibson. As a 50th birthday present to myself, I put $250 down on layaway for this instrument but was soon told by a friend (who's a guitar expert) that it was almost certainly a Chinese copy. Can anyone clarify this for me? I played it and absolutely loved it, so I may be willing to pay $250 or maybe $500 but certainly not the $1500 upon which we initially agreed. I tried to report it is a possible counterfeit at the Gibson website, but all the related links seem to be broken. Thanks in advance.

IMG_8799.jpg

IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8800.jpg

Did you notice "supreme" is spelled wrong? looks like it say suprome. The head stock is way off too.  I would not buy it. 

Better photos of the whole body would be nice. Take the truss rod cover off and look to see if it is an allen wrench or a hex-head nut. Gibson has a hex head nut.

Edited by old guy

As 'old guy' says above the Chinese Supremes do, indeed, appear to say 'Suprome' on the headstock. The epithet 'Suprome' became well-known around here as  there used to be "Is this a fake?" threads on these abominations on an almost weekly basis a few years ago. It baffles me why they chose to make counterfeit Supremes as, due to the complex nature of the original instruments, they are probably the easiest of all Les Paul fakes to spot.

Don't even think about spending $500 on that thing. They only cost $249 when they were brand-spanking new...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

14 minutes ago, Hector said:

Any guitar shop that would willingly sell that is not one that I would give my money to.

Any guitar shop asking $1,500 for that should be reported to the law enforcement authorities because there is no way in Hell that they don't know it's counterfeit. Additionally as the current market price in the USA seems to be between $2,500 and $3,000 it's clear they are trying to shift it ASAP.

The dealership really should be reported for trying to pass-off a counterfeit item to some poor soul who doesn't know any better. It's fraud - pure and simple.

Pip.

Edited by pippy