Gibson Brands Forums

serial number check please?

ocdp2001

hey, iv been talking to this guy off of craigslist who has been selling "gibson" guitars for a while now, i went to check them out, i am a little skeptical about them, so i wrote down the serial numbers and i wanted to check them out thanks alot admin:)

02005532- custom shop sunburst with tree of life inlay

02005525- custom shop sunburst with flame inlay

7 3674 - standard sunburst

ZW1 0475 zyke wyld bullseye custom

01433782- standard cherry sunburst

cs 00429 - 1959 reissue

00171431- 1960 reissue

90726829-custom shop les paul

90726741- les paul supreme

im sorry to overload you with numbers admin, these are the ones i was looking to buy, and i just wanna make sure, before i go blow a bunch of cash. thanks a lot!

-02005532--doesn't come up

-02005525--doesn't come up

-r7 from may 2003

-zw--that serial number is not the correct format for a zakk LP

-01433782--doesn't come up

-'59 reissue serial numbers do not start with "CS"

-'60 reissue serial numbers do not start with "CS"

-90726829--doesn't come up

-90726741--doesn't come up

i would stay far away from all these guitars.

thanks alot admin, is there anything i can do to stop this guy though? like..unless he starts to promote them as FAKE gibson's its illegal isnt it? i feel bad for whoever goes in there and pays the 1200 dollars hes charging for each one...if there is anything i can do about this, let me know. thanks again for saving me from that humiliation admin.

Your best bet would be either to contact your local police and ask them if they can do anything, or contact Craiglist and report him as selling fakes. The problem with contacting Craiglist is he will probably show up again with a different name, or move on to another online sales forum. If he is or runs a legitimate guitar store, then you can contact the better business bureau where he is located and report him to them

unless he starts to promote them as FAKE gibson's its illegal isnt it?

A lot of people keep making that same mistaken assumption. Even if you tell people it's a fake, it's still illegal to sell a counterfeit item. Think about it, could you sell counterfeit $20 bills for $10 as long as you tell people they're fake? I report ads from guys selling fakes even if they say it in the ad, and they get pulled. Even if he's being "honest", there's a good chance the guy buying it from him won't be. It'll be on ebay a week later for three times the price and some poor kid will blow all the money he saved from his summer job buying some chinese piece of crap.

Hi

Need some help here? Close to committing to buying second hand Amber Les Paul Supreme but looking for a bit of reassurance about the authenticity of this guitar.Ser No 02005540. Guitar looks great but no case just got me thinking

Archived