Gibson Brands Forums

Hi community

Billay

Hi all, I'm Angus from Boston.

I enjoy hiking and playing the guitar.

I am looking for some advice about a guitar I'm thinking of purchasing, I don't have a huge amount of detailed info on it but here's what I do have. Gibson Les Paul classic 1960, The year is 2001 T - Tops pickups Sunburst top. My local guitar shop are selling it for one of there customers ( private sale ) its listed as $1600 but I have been told I could probably get it for $1200. I have played it and it feels and sounds beautiful ( far better than the 2018 / 19 models I have also tried ) I realise that without pictures or more specific information it will be hard if not impossible to know for sure, but what do you guys think generally, about the price and guitar?

Welcome aboard Angus.  I have a 2003 LP Classic (1960) that I bought new.  I kept the stock 496R/500T pickups and have never played/owned any guitars with T-Top pickups, so I can’t comment on them.  It has been a great guitar out of the box from day one.   And I have received a lot of compliments over the years about its color (Light Burst) and top, even though it’s a plain and not flamed Maple top.  On the downside for some people, it is heavy.

Price wise, $1600.00 is probably a bit high.  You might want to check eBay and Reverb to see what LP Classics have actually sold for lately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, Billay said:

Hi all, I'm Angus from Boston.

I enjoy hiking and playing the guitar.

I am looking for some advice about a guitar I'm thinking of purchasing, I don't have a huge amount of detailed info on it but here's what I do have. Gibson Les Paul classic 1960, The year is 2001 T - Tops pickups Sunburst top. My local guitar shop are selling it for one of there customers ( private sale ) its listed as $1600 but I have been told I could probably get it for $1200. I have played it and it feels and sounds beautiful ( far better than the 2018 / 19 models I have also tried ) I realise that without pictures or more specific information it will be hard if not impossible to know for sure, but what do you guys think generally, about the price and guitar?

Those have a lot of fans. As you have played it and found it to be worthy, I think you may already have your answer. Ttops were on late 60's to early 80's and were not available on the Classic from that time which came stock with high output ceramic magnet loaded, exposed black coils, (coverless), 500T and 496R humbuckers. So, pickups are not original to the guitar. How important that may be is your call.

A 2000 Classic gold top was my first Les Paul, read review here.. I love my Classic! Quality was outstanding, and has remained so over ~20 years. There's nothing like you're first...

-- 1600 Pounds Sterling seems to be the nominal market price, slightly more or less, depending upon condition.

-- 1200 seems to be a deal, especially if this one ticks your boxes and you are bonding!

Per Al, ceramics are the norm and stock will give you latter Classic Rock tones. Don't know how T-Tops would sound in these guitars. But at that price, seems you could tweak and mod if you didn't like it.