Gibson Brands Forums

Early 90's Gibson L-00.........

Bcapirchio

Hi

So are the early 90's 1936 L-00 reissues with the binding around the neck and with the 25.75 scale really dogs as I have read online?  I'm just curious.

I recently played a 2001 Nick Lucas and I was underwhelmed.  I didn't like the thicker body on an L-00. the fretboard profile felt very thin, and most of all it sounded dead.

But i digress..... I get the feeling that the early 90's L-00 1936 reissues are not well received. 

Mind you, i'm not interested in if they sound like the old ones or not, which they most likely don't.   I guess I'm just asking if they at least sound good.   I have a posted a picture of an example that I am talking about.  Thank you.

91L00Ri36SbSb3.jpg

Edited by Bcapirchio

While players  definitely have their favorite periods of production, the only one I can think of where I saw and heard  more complaints than usual  was around 1994 when Bozeman upped production for the Centennial.  Based  on the 1994 J10 XTRA my wife was playing when I met her and what others have recounted. the quality of these instruments was not the best.  

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

While players  definitely have their favorite periods of production, the only one I can think of where I saw and heard  more complaints than usual  was around 1994 when Bozeman upped production for the Centennial.  Based  on the 1994 J10 XTRA my wife was playing when I met her and what others have recounted. the quality of these instruments was not the best.  

A few years back I knew a guy in the Twin Cities who had a '94 J-45 (I was playing a '98 J-45 during that era) and the differences between our two guitars was like night and day. His sounded dead, even with new strings. Fortunately, the guitar's tone (or lack thereof) worked well with his dry folkie style.

He once offered to trade me straight up, saying his guitar would be considered "vintage" four years before mine would. I declined because I didn't think his guitar was ever going to sound any better.

I posted this because this particular model, the "1936 reissue" from 1991, look awesome but are  said to be "heavily built" They also have a 25.5 scale length.     It's this model that I'm really interested in, but I've heard negative things about them.

But the issue is if people are comparing them to original L-00's from the 30's, then yes they are probably not the same.  But my question is, as an acoustic guitar, are they good?  Has anyone played one I guess, or heard something about them.  

I have found little information, but what I the little that I have heard has been luke warm

Edited by Bcapirchio

23 minutes ago, Bcapirchio said:

I posted this because this particular model, the "1936 reissue" from 1991, look awesome but are  said to be "heavily built" They also have a 25.5 scale length.     It's this model that I'm really interested in, but I've heard negative things about them.

But the issue is if people are comparing them to original L-00's from the 30's, then yes they are probably not the same.  But my question is, as an acoustic guitar, are they good?  Has anyone played one I guess, or heard something about them.  

I have found little information, but what I the little that I have heard has been luke warm

As far as I know, Bozeman has made no attempt other than the Legend L00 to reproduce a 1930s Advanced Body L guitar.   They use standard  wood thickness, bracing carve and whatever you found on current production models rather than go with original specs.    While I do not know about the specific  year model you are  talking about, the current L00 Standard remains one of my favorite Bozeman-made guitars.