Gibson Brands Forums

Hello From The Desert

DesertRatt

Hi all,

I'm an old (71) player of maybe intermediate skill (if I am kind). I only recently re-engaged with the guitar after many years of playing ukuleles because of arthritis in my hands. Long story short, the arthritis improved and I decided I missed the guitar, So, I started buying guitars trying to find the "right" fit. 

I'm a small guy, and my wife and I just play at home for fun. I can't handle big dreadnaughts and jumbos.  I'm kind of in love with parlor and smaller bodied guitars that can be comfortably played in chairs. I began with a Gretsch which was just too heavy and bulky. Then a Cordoba 3/4 nylon, but I didn't like that style of guitar.  Then I purchased a new Taylor 214 GS on a whim, based on trying it in the store. But, it was way too big once at home. I traded that back for a GS Mini, which I am using now.  We play pop/rock from 50s to 80s, and I generally try flat picking. 

Ok, all that out of the way, I really want a brighter "spruce top" tone, and I am drooling for an older Gibson, maybe even vintage. I am however, endlessly confused by the myriad model designations and trying to figure out which are the smaller bodies? So far, I think the L-00, L1 and L2 are the only ones small enough. But there are many, many other designations that I just don't know  the size. 

In the NEW category, I am intrigued with the Parlor Rosewood M. But I've never had a vintage guitar and I am wondering what I am missing? 

Any advice on small models appreciated!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy your stay.  I wish I could help you out, but I’ve only owned/played electric guitars and basses and know nothing about acoustics.  But If you post to the Acoustic Forum, somebody there should be able to help you out.  Good luck.

Howdy, welcome to the board!   welcome.gif

Sorry, I have no Gibson acoustic, lots of electrics though..    If you have access to a guitar/music shop, stop and take a look at the Yamahas.   The FS series is a smaller, great sounding, concert sized acoustic.   I have the FS820, solid Sitka spruce top with Mahogany back and sides.  The FS830 is same build, but comes with Rosewwod back and sides and a little bit more bling.  They run $249 and $299 respectively.   These little dynamos pack a lot punch for $$.    The Martin 00 and 0 sizes are smaller yet and one of those may be perfect.

Good luck on finding "the one" ! 🙂