Gibson Brands Forums

What Goes Around Comes Around/Good Deeds

Californiaman

What Goes Around, Comes Around

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to eke out a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog. There, mired to his waist in black mulch, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved. "I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life."

"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied, waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel. "Is that your son?" the nobleman asked. "Yes," the farmer replied proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me take him and give him a good education. If the lad is anything like his father, he'll grow to a man you can be proud of."

And that he did. In time, Farmer Fleming's son graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin.

Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia. What saved him? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name? Sir Winston Churchill.

Someone once said, "What goes around, comes around."

Talk about good deeds being done in your community. What are you doing to make the world a better place?

Good to have something which illustrates how, in a very real sense, our choices of action can and will have an effect on the lives of others with whom we come into contact.

It really should make one think clearly about the decisions we all make.

A woman, recently layed off from her job of over 20 years, was struggling to make ends meet. Paying the bills became harder and harder for the middleaged gal. Soon she was behind on her mortgage, unable to pay for the home she had lived in for 15 years.

Eventually her house was foreclosed on by the bank. It would be put up for auction to the highest bidder. She was no doubt feeling helpless and ashamed she could not do anything to stop it.

As the day of the auction was at hand, this woman decided to go and see the process, she was filled with grief and sobbed heavily almost uncontrolably as she sat there watching as home after home was auctioned off to the highest bidder.

A woman sitting near by asked her, "What's wrong?".

She related her story of how she had lost her job and was about to see her house auctioned off.

This moved the other woman greatly. She asked, "Which house is it?".

The lady told her which one.

As the auction for her house began the other woman began to bid on it. She bid again, and again as the price went higher and higher.

She won the auction for the other woman's house and then told her, "I originally came here to buy a home for my son. But I believe God wants me to buy that house for you."

And she turned the deed over to the other original owner of the house.

Archived