Gibson Brands Forums

Non-Gibson varitones

Subro

Does anyone have experience with modern non-Gibson varitones? 
I want to add one to my es 355 and would love to hear other people’s experiences with different makers and the general experience installing it. 

I’m leaning towards to De Lisle one. I’ve heard good things about the Big D but I saw that all positions cut higher frequencies making the sound ”jazzier” and I’m interested in the positions that cut the low frequencies to get the thinner tones. 

I had one on my BB King and rarely if ever did it come off the 0 position, which is bypass mode. It is cool if your gonna use it, but I hardly ever did. After about 5 mins it went back to bypass. You say you want to add one. I thought 355's came with one since it is supposed to be a super pimped out 335, or did you miss type 355 and meant 335?

Then since its a 355, and I sure it has no control cavity cover, you have to drill a hole and do all the wiring though the F holes. Enjoy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I would be interested in the replies. I have a ES 345 and besides position 1 I like 3 and 4 the best. I find it very useful especially in a studio/recording session. the older ES 355 usually had it but a lot of the newer reissues don't. The varitone is one of the reasons I bought my 2009 ES 345, that and the playability/tone. And don't even get me started on the stereo feature.

Thanks john

Edited by powerwagonjohn

2 hours ago, powerwagonjohn said:

I would be interested in the replies. I have a ES 345 and besides position 1 I like 3 and 4 the best. I find it very useful especially in a studio/recording session. the older ES 355 usually had it but a lot of the newer reissues don't. The varitone is one of the reasons I bought my 2009 ES 345, that and the playability/tone. And don't even get me started on the stereo feature.

Thanks john

One of the reasons I bought my BB due to it and found I had no need for it. Great guitar but useless feature for me. My BB was an 09

Edited by Sgt. Pepper