Gibson Brands Forums

1973 SG Special?

Hi, can anyone help me ID this SG?  the serial dates it to 1973 I think and it has the black mini buckers that the specials had at the time, but its a yellow color (maybe a very aged white?) which I cant find any others with it and it has fretboard binding which i thought specials didnt have?  Also I think case is 60's chipboard?

https://imgur.com/a/1hz6xIo

https://imgur.com/a/Wpv0mWj

It does look like an early 70’s SG Special. During this time, they replaced the P-90s with Mini Humbuckers in much the same way the did in the Les Paul Deluxe, but using the same surface mount pickup ring that was used on the bridge pickup on the EB-3 bass. Most of the examples I have seen had the “harmonica” bridge. The color could be a yellowed Alpine White or TV Yellow.

Edited by Grog

Thanks, I actually contacted Gibson support and they confirmed likely a 73 special with replaces pots or a 77 special that sat around factory for 4 years,  but the binding is very unusual,  im waiting to hear back from them on that specifically but im unable to locate any other examples of a special with binding from that time.  It may just be very unique 

2 hours ago, Metslife said:

Thanks, I actually contacted Gibson support and they confirmed likely a 73 special with replaces pots or a 77 special that sat around factory for 4 years,  but the binding is very unusual,  im waiting to hear back from them on that specifically but im unable to locate any other examples of a special with binding from that time.  It may just be very unique 

The SG guitar Book 50 years of SG indicates small blocks start around '73 and bound necks end around '73.  Looks like you've got a transition. And I'd say TV Yellow based on the pick up and cavity routes.

Johnny