Gibson Brands Forums

1939 Century Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

10 hours ago, Paul14 said:

Sweet. Don’t you have one of these? I’ve never even seen one in real life.

P,

Yes I have the 1936 Elvis Costello Reissue.

Which sounds very very similar to the old ones. 

Bob R who was a member here until his passing a number of years ago was a lover of the century of progress also and he told me that he A/B’d his Costello model with several of the old ones from the 30’s and that to him they sounded almost exactly the same.

Elvis himself said that Gibson got very close to the tone of his old century in the video they did when they put the guitar out.

I love mine honestly.

It’s very light ... and the big V neck gives it massive resonance .You can play any style of music on it too.

The Adi Spruce accentuates everything really nicely.

The entire run was supposed to be 300 instruments ... I’m not sure how fare they got.

In typical Gibson fashion some of them came with the “Number X of 300” written  on the label  ... others didn’t. Mine didn’t come with that.

JC

I have a couple.  A 1937 L-Century and a 1934 HG-Century conversion. 

IME -- pretty much like all maple B&S flat tops -- they have a lovely bright tone which works well my itself but will not cut in a complex mix.  Thus they don't work well as a lead instrument in various string bands, but they sound great behind voices in a less complex acoustic mix.  So for my late wife and I, they were roll players -- mostly for song circles and such.

0jnNyVr.jpg

Here is our friend George playing a folk song on the 1934 HG-Century.

https://vimeo.com/269564022

Best,

-Tom

On 2/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, tpbiii said:

IME -- pretty much like all maple B&S flat tops -- they have a lovely bright tone which works well my itself but will not cut in a complex mix.  Thus they don't work well as a lead instrument in various string bands, but they sound great behind voices in a less complex acoustic mix.  So for my late wife and I, they were roll players -- mostly for song circles and such.

0jnNyVr.jpg

Best,

-Tom

That’s cool. Song is perfect for that guitar.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:47 PM, tpbiii said:

0jnNyVr.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Tom,

Thanks for sharing the video of your friend playing ... He showcases the tone perfectly.

Absolutely perfect maple sound !

Keep pickin’ !!!

JC