Gibson Brands Forums

What is AAA wood?

powerpopper

My Seagull has 'D' grade cedar on the top and the sides and back came from a pallet labeled 'wood'. And yet it's one of my faves.

Kinda has a Band-Camp Michelle thing going on.

A Seagull S-6 is the best bang for your buck in acoustic guitars anywhere, period, in my opinion.

I'm guessing "AAA" means roughly "premium grade wood" but is there something more to it than that? Is the wood that goes on a J-45 Standard or Modern Classic simply "A" or "AA" wood?

"premium grade wood" is probably as good a description as any. In the end, I think its up to us to define it as we see it and make our own purchasing decisions accordingly. I don't care for runout in a top myself - I don't think it really has any impact on tone, and unless it is an extreme example I think a top with runout is structurally sound. Others don't mind it, but ideally I want both great tone and a runout-free top if I'm going to spend my money on a guitar.

I also don't think that you can say that a particular "grade guitar" equates to a certain grade of wood. I've seen beautiful looking wood on lower priced Gibsons that would most certainly qualify as premium grade wood. However, you probably stand a much greater chance of finding less than premium grade wood on lower tier guitars. Speaking from a strictly visual standpoint here.

Guth

Archived