Gibson Brands Forums

Which would you choose: 2019 Gibson Firebird Tribute or 2018 Gibson Firebird Studio

mhulse

Hello,

New here. I've never owned a Gibson, and am looking at buying one. I really dig the Firebird as it's like the Explorer (I prefer the rounded corner body shapes).

I'm looking to buy a solid body electric so I can play mostly outlaw country/rock/blues.

After having done a bit of research, I've narrowed down my picks to these two guitars:

From what I can tell, the biggest difference are the pickups? The 2018 has p90s, whereas the tribute uses mini-humbuckers?

I'd love some advice on which is the better pick overall. In this case, does more expensive mean better? I like the looks of both, so I could go either way.

Thank you so much for the help!

Edited by mhulse

Oooh, the the 2017 studio is nice! Are the humbuckers better than the Gibson mini-humbuckers (which, I think come on the 2019)? Is this one you would pick over the others?

Also, do all models have the same bridge? I watched a review that said the bridge on the 2019 tribute is really easy to adjust.

Lastly, are they all of the same body size? I'll probably be on my couch a bit, and this is another reason why I picked the Firebird over the Explorer (I read many folks like the Explorer for couch play).

Thanks so much Eades!!! I really appreciate your help!

Edited by mhulse

31 minutes ago, Eades said:

The humbuckers are just different to minis

There the same body size

The 2019 is cheaper, as it's a gig bag and satin finished (less coats)

Thank you again for the help Eades! I really appreciate it! 🙂

I wouldn't buy a Firebird with P90's... At least for my first one. One of the great things about a Firebirds are the Mini Humbuckers. They have a truly unique Sound that sets the Firebird apart from all other Guitars... In a good way! If it has a Maestro, even better!

Maybe your 2nd or 3rd with P90's!

• Like 1

I would absolutely get the  Studio between those two.  Proper gloss finish and a proper HSC.  Also, it has the  non-reverse headstock which I also prefer.  The Studio has that awesome burst too (so classic for a Firebird to have that) and the Granadillo fretboard (honestly, I have never heard of "Granadillo" but it is sure fun to say out loud).  Look, you asked me which one I would pick ... for me it would be the Studio all day long.  Not even close.

• Like 2

Why pay $1200 for a P90 Guitar when you can buy an LP with P90's Brand new for $599????  They'll both sound virtually identical. It's your Money though...

If you haven't played a Gibson USA Firebird with Mini Humbuckers you don't know what your missing! Nothing sounds like them!!! In a good way!

• Like 1

The Body shape on Firebirds is very cool indeed! Either Reverse or Non Reverse... I love my Gibson Firebird V with Mini Humbuckers as much or more than all my other Electric Guitars because of the unique amazing sound of those Pickups...

• Like 1