Gibson Brands Forums

Info about my J50

Gettertar

I cannot find my guitars serial anywhere.  I know one thing, it not a fake but the but the number come up invalid.    The number is stamped into the back of the headstock and there is no "made in the usa" stamped under it.  It is a square shoulder guitar.  The number is 903172.  Any help would be appreciated. 

That serial number, coupled with the square dread body shape and no "made in USA" stamp, says 1970. You would normally expect an inside label, but this was only a year after the switch to that body shape, so it might pre-date labels on that model. 

Look to see if there is any evidence of a paper label on the inside back, such as glue residue just below the soundhole, that would suggest the guitar once had a label.

There is no evidence of a label of any kind.   The 1 thing I think I have found out is with no made in USA It would be a 69 and the serial number starting with a 9 would be a 69.  It's not like it's real important but it would be nice to know more about the guitar.   The month the plant,  it would just be something nice to know.

This is what the “Guitar dater project”gave me?

This result is a match only if the serial number is impressed on headstockMade In USA on headstock

Your guitar was made at the 
Kalamazoo Or Nashville Plant, USA
in 1970, 1971 Or 1972
Production Number: 903172

yours doesn’t have the USA stamp, so,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Edited by Paul14

43 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

This is what the “Guitar dater project”gave me?

This result is a match only if the serial number is impressed on headstockMade In USA on headstock

Your guitar was made at the 
Kalamazoo Or Nashville Plant, USA
in 1970, 1971 Or 1972
Production Number: 903172

yours doesn’t have the USA stamp, so,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Have a look at this site instead. There are some inconsistencies within the site, but the section that seems to match the best with the serial number, body, and no "made in USA" stamp is the section headlined "Gibson Serial Numbers, Feb 1961 to 1970."  Go to the bottom of that particular section.

That would place the guitar in 1970.

This apparently was a time of inconsistent and repetitive numbering, according to most sources.

To the best of my knowledge, Gibson did not begin building guitars in Nashville until 1976. This should be a Kalamazoo guitar.

Gibson serial numbers

15 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Have a look at this site instead. There are some inconsistencies within the site, but the section that seems to match the best with the serial number, body, and no "made in USA" stamp is the section headlined "Gibson Serial Numbers, Feb 1961 to 1970."  Go to the bottom of that particular section.

That would place the guitar in 1970.

This apparently was a time of inconsistent and repetitive numbering, according to most sources.

To the best of my knowledge, Gibson did not begin building guitars in Nashville until 1976. This should be a Kalamazoo guitar.

Gibson serial numbers

Thanks for the link.  I only look up guitars that belong to other people. I know when mine were made, with the exception of a Oscar Schmidt Galiano. The best I’ve been able to do with that one, is it was made in the 1920’s.

11 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Thanks for the link.  I only look up guitars that belong to other people. I know when mine were made, with the exception of a Oscar Schmidt Galiano. The best I’ve been able to do with that one, is it was made in the 1920’s.

Zombywoof might be able to help you with that one.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

Zombywoof might be able to help you with that one.

Jake Wildwood has the guitar at the moment. He’s doing a neck reset, & some other stuff like, filing frets, & re- gluing the bridge. I’m not expecting to see it again for 6 to 8 months. I don’t have the serial # until I get the guitar back.

mine is exactly like this one except mine was in better condition.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2018/01/1920s-oscar-schmidt-made-galiano-0-size.html

Edited by Paul14