Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall DSL 40 feedback

CBenson89

Good afternoon all!

i just got my first tube amp.  It’s a Marshall DSL 40 and it sounds amazing compared to the Marshall digital MG series amps I’ve owned.  My question is when I play it on overdrive channel 2 it sounds like the speaker is vibrating too much at certain settings and almost like there is too much treble.  Is this normal for tube amps and do I need to just break the amp in?  When I play on the clean channel it sounds fine.  The amp isn’t on a high volume and nothing is maxed out but it almost sounds like the speaker is vibrating too much maybe.  Thanks for the help!

New speakers do take some time to burn in so there is that.  

Also give us an idea of what guitar your using (Humbuckers, singlecoils?)

If you're using something like a strat, they will be bright, and that will get a bit emphasized when you kick on the gain stage.  Do you have a separate EQ Stack for Clean and Gain channels? 

Another thought.  Does the DSL have a "Presence" control?  (Most tube Marshalls do, mine is on the back of the amp)  That can add some top end beyond what you'll get out of the treble control