Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Pickup Height

clfnole123

Just got a new ES 339 P90 Pro and wondering what you think good pickup heights might be. Currently at about 1/8” on the bridge and 3/32” on the neck but not sure if this is ideal. Forgive me but I only just got back into playing after 30+ years. 

The Gibson specification for p-90 pickup height. is 3/64" from the string with the string depressed at the last fret. This is the standard height for both pickups.

But you can google around and there should be a whole bunch of vids, and you'll eventually "hear" what you like and that should be where you'll leave it.

• Like 1

Not sure, as it's all preference relaly.

The "specs" are all averages & ball park #'s.

your attack, the amp you use, how you have your tone stack tweaked,, all comes into play.  I just start with specs, then twiddle around till my ears hear "That's it"... 🙂

good luck!  and welcome to the Forums!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Not sure, as it's all preference relaly.

The "specs" are all averages & ball park #'s.

your attack, the amp you use, how you have your tone stack tweaked,, all comes into play.  I just start with specs, then twiddle around till my ears hear "That's it"... 🙂

good luck!  and welcome to the Forums!

Moved them to 3/64” and do like the tone but may experiment more in the future. 

Thanks again!

The closer the poles are, the more "pull" the magnets will have on the strings,  too much of that, and it's very much "not good"

but, too far away, and ya loose the magic that's in between the strings moving/vibration and the magnetic field the PUPs create.

This is why your attack makes a difference, (light touch, vs heavy touch)

give it some time, you will find the sweet spot.

Jason Lollar has some great vids on this,, (Lollar Pickups.. the guy is a freakin genius..  check his site out for stuff like this)

Best!

/R

• Thanks 1