Gibson Brands Forums

1930 Gibson L-4

BoSoxBiker

Soon after that date, the L-4 went to f holes.  Then in an odd Gibsonish  move, for about one year later -- c. 1937 -- they built a few more round hole models.  Some of these (all of these?) had Nick Lucas fingerboards -- I got this one long ago at a flea market.

OpHG6fk.jpgLoAhp11.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

I really like the burst on the '30 L4.  

But yeah,  round soundhole archtops are not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  I happen to like them and prefer them to their later f-hole kin.   My much smaller concert size Gibson L3 actually brings a Radio Tone flattop to mind.  

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I really like the burst on the '30 L4.  

But yeah,  round soundhole archtops are not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  I happen to like them and prefer them to their later f-hole kin.   My much smaller concert size Gibson L3 actually brings a Radio Tone flattop to mind.  

I have used mine a number of times in old time sessions -- works well to my ear, but you don't see them much.  When my father played in a string band in the 30s in North Carolina, he used a (Harmony?) archtop.

Best,

-Tom