Gibson Brands Forums

stringing a slot head

jannusguy

Wrapping the string around itself as shown in that link is not necessary and only makes removing the string more difficult. Think of a slothead machine as a regular old machine head turned on it's side. Cut the string to length (to avoid damage to the surrounding wood), first wrap to the outside of the tail and the rest to the inside of the tail. Wrapping to the inside helps keep string pull straighter over the nut which can minimize nut binding problems. Of course you can string the post anyway that works for you.........

are you thrilled with your new purchase?

is m....n a forbidden word on this site?

won't have the guitar until next week. and, no, martin is not a forbidden word. just being a wise guy. i had an hd28vs that i sent back because it was too dark for my taste. am hoping the difference between the rosewood on the 28 and the hog on the 18 will be what i'm looking for. we'll see.

I think the 12 fret D28 is the best looking of all Martins, save maybe the 000 12 fret. There is supposedly a tone bonus in both the placement of the soundhole and in the extra break angle offered by the slot posts.

The neck is a handful, but that is good too.

I have a '29 O-18K and I string it the same way others have suggested here - pull the string through the post hole about 1.5 to 2 inches then cut it - bring the tip back to the edge of the hole and wind for all you are worth. I always leave a little tip hanging out that I can bend back the opposite direction with the needle nose pliers, but that probably isn't necessary.

I noticed that Martin seems to like to put gloss finish inside the slots. If you are concerned about scratching, make a few little balls of rubber cement and put them on the ends after you cut the strings and remove it when the winding catches. This way, if you lose control of the end for a moment it won't do any damage.

And, if your girlfriend is around you can hand her one of the balls and tell her it is a booger!

Jannusguy, patiently awaiting the review of this guitar. Glad Martins are not taboo over here. My two favorite guitars are still Gibsons, but they are closely followed by two Martins. I've played the D-18VS and thought it was a fine instrument. Ended up with a D-18 authentic instead, for alot more $. Please let us know.

Jannusguy' date=' patiently awaiting the review of this guitar. Glad Martins are not taboo over here. My two favorite guitars are still Gibsons, but they are closely followed by two Martins. I've played the D-18VS and thought it was a fine instrument. Ended up with a D-18 authentic instead, for alot more $. Please let us know. [/quote']

I was always a Martin guy until I got married and my father-in-law's interest in Gibsons started to rub off on me. Now, the first guitar I reach for every day is my AJ. I can't imagine that ever changing. Still, when I recently needed to buy a stage guitar to go with my Fishman SoloAmp, it was very easy to decide to get a Martin with an Aura pickup.

I see the brands as distinct but complementary - most recordings I have done involve both brands. You simply can't beat a bed track done on a J-45 with leads on a vintage D-28. Sure, there are many other options, but this is the one I love the sound of best.

I prefer to get at least 3 wraps around the spool before threadin' through the hole. And, yes that is the order in which I do it. If possible, thread the string through the hole then between the first and second wrap. Not sure if this is necessary, but I think it may help secure things a bit better. The strings are more secure that way and less prone to breaking where it makes a 90° bend going into the hole. You'll want to get all of three wraps before bringing the low E to pitch, as once it's tight, doesn't stretch much twisting to come to pitch. The high e. maybe one is enough as it really stretches a bunch before coming to pitch, and will therefore have many more wraps than 3, just as long as the wraps don't cross over on top previous wraps you're good. Trim the strings as close to the spool as possible.

Archived