Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer Lee Malia: factory peel off sticker leaved like a halo on guitar top!

Hello guitarists,

Last week I bought an Epiphone Explorer Lee Malia Limited Edition. The guitar is brand new but it’s a fund of store and for this reason I had a deep discount. It was really a bargain, because the guitar is truly gorgeous and I was over the moon! 😉 Everything was ok BUT I had a bad surprise when, arrived home, I removed the plastic/gummy black peel off sticker that in this particular model surrounds the bridge humbucker pot to indicate that it’s splittable: what an horror! 😱
The finish showed a tan circle, a dark halo: it seems like if the sticker itself released some substance to the lacquer or even deeper, but the strange thing is that looking in backlight the finish is glass-like, it’s perfect, so I don’t understand what happened, also because that type of stickers are without glue or any other adhesive, for obvious reasons! Of course I immediately try to rub and rub and rub the area using a light polishing compound, but until now no improvement at all.
Have you already experienced a similar issue with a rubbery sticker -let me be clear about this- put there by the manufacturer?  Another thing: whereas the sticker is black, the back of this item, that is the part that comes in contact with the guitar top, is off-white, so how is it possible that this can darken the guitar top?

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder with some pictures, so maybe it will be more easy for you to realize what happened and what to do in order to help me to solve the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l90x3rfl11ffd8h/AAAu41g3cXTJjQwKjyeJIEwva?dl=0

Thanks a lot in advance,

Lexicon

The sticker didn't do anything to the finish (no chemical reaction). It's just that the finish underneath it wasn't exposed to sunlight (until you peeled it off), while the rest of the guitar was. In other terms the finish "aged" everywhere but where it wasn't exposed to sunlight, that is, where the sticker was located at. The finish underneath the sticker is how the finish color looked originally.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The sticker didn't do anything to the finish (no chemical reaction). It's just that the finish underneath it wasn't exposed to sunlight (until you peeled it off), while the rest of the guitar was. In other terms the finish "aged" everywhere but where it wasn't exposed to sunlight, that is, where the sticker was located at. The finish underneath the sticker is how the finish color looked originally.

Will that spot age now that it's open? Will it eventually fade and be less noticeable? Just curious.....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sure is a nice guitar. Hope someone on here might know what's going on. 

Hello again, Ceptorman 😀

Oh man, the guitar is really a beauty: I own many others, but I'm not tired of admire it. The hearts and curls all over the fretboard reminds me  of a medieval lute, the cognac-color top lightens the aesthetics of the instrument emphasizing the gold hardware, that already shows a lovely patina. But the guitar it's not only appearance: oh, no. Gibson pickup (Humbucker & P90) especially designed for this model and an hidden pickup inside the body, so when the HB is splitted or the P90 is selected alone, there's no hum! Brilliant. Premium bag included, and even the case candy is very rich: lots of certificates, sticker, manual and even gold locking strap button too: such luxury! 😍 Sir, I'm on my honeymoon 😂

Edited by Lexicon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Hello Leonard. Thanks for you kind reply.

Actually I was also thinking to a damage caused by exposure to light.  What I knew is that UV rays usually tend to darken the guitars finish, but in this case the dark spot is under the area shielded by the factory sticker, as you rightly said. I just checked on Google Maps the position of the store and, in detail, the wall where the guitar was hanged. When I went back to the guitar store the clerk said me it was usually hit by the afternoon light (for how long?) through the glass window. So maybe I could build a simple white carboard/paper mask with a circular hole and place it just over the dark spot, then expose gradually the guitar to the september sunset light with the window open (no IR rays, just UV!). Are you absolutely sure the sunlight usually lightens the guitar top? If unfortunately the finish gets dark, it could be a big mess 😅😂

Edited by Lexicon

OMG it's trueeee: you have a good eye, Ceptorman! I thought it was a "bubble" under the sticker that caused that lighter "ring" in the dark spot. But no, the letters of the sticker are almost "printed" over the finish. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn2npkvahx8zg2h/Letters printed.jpg?dl=0
This suggests to me that maybe the letters (transparent-white color) let some sunlight filters through the sticker itself,  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpdsvx1fdjaoxgk/transparency.jpg?dl=0 ,or maybe the black part of the sticker released some substance over time: really, I don't know.

Sure I will try first a strong home cleaner/degreaser (here in Italy the most popular and vigorous cleaner is definitely Chanteclair https://www.chanteclair.it/pulizia-della-casa/sgrassatori-universali) 😆😂 I've never thought I'd use it for guitars, but it really deserves a try using a Q-tip, better if in a small area usually covered by the knobs 😀 Let's see what happens...

On 8/26/2020 at 6:45 PM, Lexicon said:

OMG it's trueeee: you have a good eye, Ceptorman! I thought it was a "bubble" under the sticker that caused that lighter "ring" in the dark spot. But no, the letters of the sticker are almost "printed" over the finish. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn2npkvahx8zg2h/Letters printed.jpg?dl=0
This suggests to me that maybe the letters (transparent-white color) let some sunlight filters through the sticker itself,  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpdsvx1fdjaoxgk/transparency.jpg?dl=0 ,or maybe the black part of the sticker released some substance over time: really, I don't know.

Sure I will try first a strong home cleaner/degreaser (here in Italy the most popular and vigorous cleaner is definitely Chanteclair https://www.chanteclair.it/pulizia-della-casa/sgrassatori-universali) 😆😂 I've never thought I'd use it for guitars, but it really deserves a try using a Q-tip, better if in a small area usually covered by the knobs 😀 Let's see what happens...

Any update? Good news?

• Like 1

Hello Ceptorman,

Well, I sent an email with the pictures you already saw to the Epiphone European Customer Service, giving them all the necessary informations to evaluate the issue. And this is the answer I received just few minutes ago:

"Thanks for the pictures.The sticker should have been taken off of course, because now you’re seeing color differences! It does not make a difference if the underside is black or white, the sun/light does its work as well."   So they think the problem was caused by the sunlight? Good to know...

"As you had the guitar with a huge discount already, I am not sure what you expect from me now. I can send you an Epiphone clip on strobe tuner as a courtesy if you like but then I would need your address and telephone number please."  End of email.

??? First of all, the "huge discount" was applied by the store, certainly not from Epiphone. It was the store that gave up to earn more money, not Epiphone Customer Service. Secondly, let me say that I do not like the way it sounds. In my first contact (the form on the Epi website), I only asked if they already have seen such an issue and, according to their experience, what can I do about this.

I'm only a customer with an issue, not a beggar. Very disappointed.

Edited by Lexicon

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

It's a shame that the quality of customer service seems to be lowering. At least you got a deal on the guitar. Keep us informed, I'm curious...

Ceptorman,

I already replied to the email, saying that whatever the cause of the issue, this has nothing to do with the "huge discount" the store (by the way an official dealer Gibson/Epiphone here in Milan, Italy) applied to the instrument itself. The selling price is not up for discussion: I could have even omitted the detail. I also pointed out that I was just asking how to fix the problem. This -as a Customer Service- is “what I expected from them now”. And if, for any reason, it’s not possibile to replace the item, well, I’ll settle for a mere opinion.

I will not fail to inform you, don't worry. I'm not giving up.  😉

Edited by Lexicon
  • Like 1

Yes, of course I played it a little, and I do see your point: sure it’s not serious damage and it does not affect the sound, but you know how it is: the look always goes there. 😂
Besides, I like to use my guitars like design objects to be exposed in a special room of my home, full of music and many beautiful arts and crafts objects so, it'd be better if there wasn't that spot on the instrument but hey, even if it doesn’t work out, it's alright. 🤗

Meantime, on the practical side, I started to expose the guitar to direct afternoon light, shielded by a white cardboard except for the spotted area by means of a circular hole.

Let's see what we got 🤔

Edited by Lexicon

21 hours ago, Lexicon said:

Yes, of course I played it a little, and I do see your point: sure it’s not serious damage and it does not affect the sound, but you know how it is: the look always goes there. 😂
Besides, I like to use my guitars like design objects to be exposed in a special room of my home, full of music and many beautiful arts and crafts objects so, it'd be better if there wasn't that spot on the instrument but hey, even if it doesn’t work out, it's alright. 🤗

Meantime, on the practical side, I started to expose the guitar to direct afternoon light, shielded by a white cardboard except for the spotted area by means of a circular hole.

Let's see what we got 🤔

That might just work, time and patience is the key here. I know what you mean about a blemished on a treasured item. I got a pair of hi-end Klipsch Palladium speakers about 10 years ago, they are about 56" tall, and heavy, about 140 lbs. While moving them in my living room (placement can make a huge difference) I accidentally grabbed the front of the 8" driver and put 2 small dents in the surface. It doesn't affect the sound, and I keep the grills on so it's not noticeable, but I know its there. It still bugs me today. I can replace that one driver, but it's $600!

photo 123.jpg

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That might just work, time and patience is the key here. I know what you mean about a blemished on a treasured item. I got a pair of hi-end Klipsch Palladium speakers about 10 years ago, they are about 56" tall, and heavy, about 140 lbs. While moving them in my living room (placement can make a huge difference) I accidentally grabbed the front of the 8" driver and put 2 small dents in the surface. It doesn't affect the sound, and I keep the grills on so it's not noticeable, but I know its there. It still bugs me today. I can replace that one driver, but it's $600!

photo 123.jpg

Holy moly, what a beauties! 😵😎 Congratulations, they're really stunning.

Regarding those little annoying unintentional damages to loved items, trust me: I know the feeling only too well! 😂

• Like 1