Gibson Brands Forums

1962 J-50 vs. 1955-1960 J-50

angeloumusic

Looking for some information here.  I have a 1962 J-50.  I removed the adjustable bridge and replaced it with a set rosewood bridge/bridge plate and bone saddle (sounds way better to my ear).  With these modifications, is it now functionally the same as a 1955-1960 J-50 or does the early sixties J-50 have different bracing than the 1955-1960 J-50s.? Thanks in advance.

I remember Jake Wildwood who repairs allot of Vintage guitars said the 61-65 J-50's have lighter bracing and slightly thinner tops.  When I look at my 65 J-50 the back braces are definitely smaller.  Brace size is even smaller than my 46 J-45.  I just remember he mention that's a sweet spot for a J50 's.  where you can get a bigger fuller tone because of the smaller braces and thinner top.  I still have the adjustable saddle still in but it sounds amazing so I'm going to leave it.

This is from his web site in the " museum section" where is has all the guitars he has repaired.

Around 1960, Gibson changed the bracing on their flattops to be a lot lighter and thinner and also decreased the top thickness. This gives these early-'60s guitars an enlarged, '30s-like bass presence and the classic, Gibson-toting folksinger/blues-player sound with its mids and bass oomph. They're great cowboy-chord, folk-centric guitars but the quick necks also make them rock-n-roll staples, too. By around 1966-67, the bracing was getting a little stiffer and the nut widths were shrinking, so the '61-'65 models are basically the sweet spot for those seeking the "classic Gibson J-45/J-50 tone."