Gibson Brands Forums

They are getting better at this...

Thundergod

If anyone from Gibson is listening' date=' a simple way to eliminate counterfeits from the current production year onward would be to imbed a digital encrypted ID chip within the body. [/quote']

Well, the first place it should start are all the little companies that Gibson owns that sells the cheap versions of their guitars. Tell them they cant make copies of gibsons and give them different model names. Tell them they cant sell any of those models. Then I think Gibson should break away from them.

Yeah, I dunno guys. It sure is a sucky problem. I suspect (and maybe I'm just too jaded) that the chips'd start getting forged too. Problem is, for all the trash talk on various forums, almost everyone'd love to own a real gibson. It's a desireable brand as far as guitars go. So is Fender. Maybe a hologram or something applied under the clear coat on the back of the headstock, like with some types of currency (heck why not, they cost more than many denominations of currency). Some microtext stamped into the edge of the binding or something? Stuff that would be a pain in the *** (although nothing is impossible) to reproduce. Of course, these countermeasures would increase unit cost to both produce and geometrically down the line, purchase. sad.gif Not trying to be negative, just brainstorming.

Well' date=' the first place it should start are all the little companies that Gibson owns that sells the cheap versions of their guitars. Tell them they cant make copies of gibsons and give them different model names. Tell them they cant sell any of those models. Then I think Gibson should break away from them.[/quote']

I don't see why that's necessary. Gibson owns all those companies because of whatever business model they're using. The Gibson-Badwin entry-level educational line can hardly be mistaken for a Gibson, and Epiphones don't even have the same headstock.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. What would the point be of divesting all those companies?

Right' date=' seems like I read about it for some other product as well.

[/quote']

I recently learned they are chipping pedigree dogs. If they can put chips on dogs necks why wouldnt they put them in guitars necks?

The sale of illegal guitar copies requires two elements: a crook and a fool.

Indeed, 100% with you on this.

Archived