Gibson Brands Forums

RUSS BARENBERG TRIO, Live at the Station Inn! Great Gibson Playing!

suburude63

Very nice music -- thanks for the link.

Also interesting were the faked film effects: flickering frame at the beginning, pseudo dust or dirt on the images here and there, "white out" edits, etc. Kind of like using a typewriter font or adding ersatz pops and scratches to your digitally recorded song, i.e. purposely recreating the imperfections of the equipment superceded by the technology used to create the new video/ms/recording.

Wonder why folks do that rather than just shoot film, typewrite, or record on tape?

The guitar in the clip looks to be his Maple bodied Banner Head J-45. He also has a mahogany Banner. The maple J-45 are a most distinctive guitar. The maple bodies are laminated due to war time shortages. Most have 4 piece necks that are quite large. Usually a Sitka spruce top. Most people who play one rave about them. I own one that I may be selling. They are very responsive with a lot of dynamic range and make a lot of sound. To me they are somewhat unforgiving, mistakes stand out as well as good playing. They have great volume, projection and sustain. Very different than their mahogany cousins. John Thomas will be including an interview with Russ in the Banner head book. John may see this thread and comment, he did on a similar thread on the UMGF. John will probably tell you he is not a fan of the maple J-45, but I forgive him!

I listened to that clip and then, as I always do, got lost in youtube videos. I listened to Mary Black on some related clips, my she is quite the talent. I had not heard her sing. Great music.

Terry

Terry is right. The laminated maple Gibson flatttops are not my favorites. But, they are Russ's favorites and I'd trust Russ's ears over mine any time!

Russ was a very interesting interview. The guy speaks as well as he plays.

Archived