Gibson Brands Forums

Blues on my Dove with new capo!!!!

BluesKing777

Box of new capos turned up at last, so to celebrate I recorded a track on my 2005 Dove with the new capo on the 3rd fret. Recorded through the Anthem pickup - way too much noise going on around me to use a mic.......

So, the gold plate G7 Heritage capo - I was bending strings for the blues a little bit and the strings return to normal position! Hooray, most of my capos leave the string out of wack, except a Shubb...:

717v1NBh.jpg

4nf2Sqmh.jpg

KgsmAyKh.jpg

MvJ8nh9h.jpg

And a short blues on the Dove, capo 3!:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 2

Thanks Buc.

Well, as I have done this the hard way......I have read all the promo and forum guff but nobody I know here actually used one. But if I had thought harder, I would have noticed they were using pencils and rubber bands!

I have mainly stuck to using my Shubbs because the blues bend strings return home when released...mostly. I have a shed load of capos but for ease of use, I had been using my G7 Performance 2 for songs with mainly chords.....if I did a bend it stayed. I saw some stuff ages ago about capo placement ala Tony Rice - right on the dotted line of the fret for keeping in tune better.

Then the G7 Performance 3 with ART came out and being fickle, I bought a black one for my black guitars and the fancy gold one for Sunday best! And the ART thing works! But bent strings still stayed bent, so..... back to Shubbs and another loss.

Then the birthday vouchers got me the G7 Heritage in gold and another in stainless steel with acanthus engraving. It is early days but I do think the tone of the recipients could be nicer, clearer but number one....the strings return home after bending! I am still finding my feet with how hard to tighten the capo. It doesn’t seem to need much! Yep, I am starting to use it all the time! I suppose the latch will give out sooner or the ART cam but meanwhile...

BluesKing777.

Well, we are back and the capo failed the bending test.....

What’s he talkin’ bout, bends, some say? You push the string up to make it go WHA , instead of DUH if you just play the note normally. And if you push it as far as your fat fingers can hold, you get WHAAAAAH or WHAAAAAAAAAAA- ah- ah- ah.....like BB King or Albert King or EC. And it can sound like The Blues done right instead of the DUH which sounds like country!😫

So, I grabbed my fully sensational when in the right mood Martin OM18 Authentic with chunky V neck. No capo, I can bend them strings until my skin falls off. New G7 Heritage, light bends only unfortunately. Which is ok for a lot of songs, just enough to make the sound go tearful, a bit, with some shimmery vibrato. But the big WHAAAH, no good, string  sticks under the capo where it got bent to...and when you play the next chords, well, let us say we are so far out of tune that is an art form alone to  get that sucker bent back to where you need it without.......stopping and taking the capo off and putting it back on......you know: ‘Hang on, good people, I”l finish that tune in a minute when I.....” 

The OM18 Authentic is an incredible guitar and I feel unworthy, but someone has to do it. 🥶

BluesKing777.

• Like 1