Gibson Brands Forums

Need Epiphone SG help

nadnitram

An Epiphone SG is available in my area. The seller says it was never played. It appears to be a Standard, but the truss rod cover is blank instead of saying SG. I don't have enough experience with Epiphone to know if that is significant. Does anyone know if this is a standard or if it is something else?

Sorry if that's a silly question. Most of my experience is with Fender, and it's darn near impossible to keep track of all their changing model names and specs. I'm not sure if it's the same with other companies.

Epiphone SG (FB) 2.jpg

Epiphone SG (FB).jpg

It is simply called an SG G-400, not a Standard

300px-G-400.jpg

G-400

• 1989-2013

Body:

• Mahogany Body

Neck:

• Set Mahogany neck 
  • Slim-Taper profile (2009-2013)
  • Rosewood fingerboard
  • Dot inlays (1989-1995)
  • Trapezoid Inlays (1996-2013)
  • 12" fingerboard radius
  • 22 frets
  • 24.75" scale 
  • 1.68" nut width

Headstock:

• Open-book with no inlay (1989)
  • Cut-corner with no inlay (1990-1996)
  • Cut-corner with holly inlay (1992-2013)

Binding:

• Rosewood neck binding

Electronics:

• Alnico Classic humbuckers 
  • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
  • 3-way selector switch

Hardware

• Chrome (1989-2008)
  • Nickel (2009-2013)
  • Epiphone stamped (1989-2001)
  • Grover tuners (2002-2013)
  • Black speed knobs (1989-1995)
  • Black reflector knobs (1996-2013)
  • LockTone tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece

Colors:

• Cherry (CH)
  • Alpine White (AW)
  • Ebony (EB)
Edited by mihcmac

1 hour ago, nadnitram said:

Wait -- are you saying this particular guitar that's for sale is a G-400, or that there is no such model as an SG Standard?

G-400 is a product line of Epiphone SG's with a "set neck". There are Customs, Pro's, Deluxe, Vintage, Quilt Top and models that look like a Standard but usually not marked that way and sometimes have a the wider pickguard.

There are many different levels of the G-400 model, the one you are showing is an SG G-400 with Grover style tuners, in addition there is also a G-400 Pro that looks identical to yours but has coil tapping and has Kluson style tuners with classic style large keystone buttons.

The SG G-400 tends to sell used between $200 to $300 depending on condition.

Sometimes the model you have is described  as a "standard SG" but is not an "SG Standard model".  

There is a lot of variation in how Epiphone describes the G-400 product line..   

See the link. below

G-400 link

There is a new 2020 SG Standard 60's model that looks a lot like yours but has the new headstock and a lot of upgraded hardware for $549.

front-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac

14 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

G-400 is a product line of Epiphone SG's with a "set neck". There are Customs, Pro's, Deluxe, Vintage, Quilt Top and models that look like a Standard but usually not marked that way and sometimes have a the wider pickguard.

There are many different levels of the G-400 model, the one you are showing is an SG G-400 with Grover style tuners, in addition there is also a G-400 Pro that looks identical to yours but has coil tapping and has Kluson style tuners with classic style large keystone buttons.

The SG G-400 tends to sell used between $200 to $300 depending on condition.

Sometimes the model you have is described  as a "standard SG" but is not an "SG Standard model".  

There is a lot of variation in how Epiphone describes the G-400 product line..   

See the link. below

G-400 link

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

The asking price is reasonable. Unfortunately, we've gotten 8 inches of snow since Christmas Eve, which would make for a miserable drive. I might brave it for a sweeter deal, but I guess I'll pass for now.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, nadnitram said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

The asking price is reasonable. Unfortunately, we've gotten 8 inches of snow since Christmas Eve, which would make for a miserable drive. I might brave it for a sweeter deal, but I guess I'll pass for now.

There was a 66 G-400 produced around 2012 with the larger pickguard, not labeled as a "Standard" but looks like one..

G400PRO.jpg

Also a current SG Standard with the large pickguard..

16x9.png

• 1 year later...

Hello!
Help me please 😇

I’ve got G-400 PRO (made Sen. 2019) from thomann-shop.

There is 2 small SMD components on small pcb’s, that soldered to each push-pull volume pots.

One of them (SMD) is black and has marking “124”. The another is brown and i don’t see marking.

It seems (i don’t want dismount all of this from guitar) that those smd’s soldered in series.

Is this some kind of “Kinman treeble bleed mod” ?

If yes – does it works in both (“push” or “pull”) positions?