Gibson Brands Forums

1964 Dove

BoSoxBiker

That's a LOUD Dove!! What a great sounding thing. I've never heard anything that sits better in a mix than a Dove, they can come across as very "in your face" as a solo instrument (I use mine solo all the time, having said that) but they just melt into a mix like musical butter into warm toast. So balanced, no preponderance of bass, delicate and lyrical midrange and that glorious, percussive top which holds everything together beautifully for strumming and arpeggios.

My last record is almost all Dove, other than a couple of cameos by my SJ200 and old Cedar topped Takamine EAN20C. We used a mixture of valve condensers and a ribbon mic, but whatever we put in front of the Dove it sounded fabulous.

I was surprised to hear this one for some reason. I was not expecting that volume, though the speaker was certainly not quiet. It reminded me of the 68(?) Hummingbird to the extent that the top just seemed to burst note out with ease.  Pretty cool how the Dove's lower frequencies were there, but not overpowering at all. Borderline thin, perhaps? Not bad at all forwhat and where it was recorded.

I can see where this would fit in a mix anywhere.

Not a bad  sounding old square maple flier at all. I would dove to hear it with faded strings.

The good demonstrator should of course have mentioned the replacement-saddle-insert.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             This guitar was born with a totally different voice due the original Tune-O-Matic saddle. 

57JFYxg.jpg