Gibson Brands Forums

'95 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

Elmut76

Hello everyone, 

I briefly introduce myself and I present to you the strong doubt that has gripped me for a while.

Elmut, from  Italy, 44 years old.

My guitars at the moment are:

Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus 1995

Jackson Soloist sl3 Japan modified with Di Marzio d2n

Various Yamaha acoustics.

We come to the dilemma.  The lady in question (Les Paul), after years of research and testing, was chosen from various standards, traditional from various eras.  She is a beautiful guitar with a fantastic Top, one-piece body, Abr-1 bridge and all the Gibson specifications of those years, including ceramics.

I literally love it (I'm not talking about the neck, it should be the classic 60 slim, but compared to the traditional 2013 and standard, it's probably a medium C);  I like the 500t a lot and I wouldn't change it, but the note that is most out of place in my opinion is the 496r in the neck.  Too anonymous, indefinable based on the sound in my head (so to speak I know the 490 as a reference point), and far from what I would like, 57 classic style.

I would like to replace it, perhaps always sticking to something from mom Gibson (I don't exclude other manufacturers), but I'm not sure about the result about the alnico / ceramic combination.

Thank you very much for any helpful answers, advice and / or suggestions.

Greetings

Elmut76

My pics:

https://ibb.co/1v45byt

https://ibb.co/sgLsDhM

Edited by Elmut76

Hi Elmut, welcome to the forum and your guitar is a beauty!

If I was looking at changing pickups, the first place that I would look at is Cream T pickups.  Everyone seems to give them great reviews.  Thomas Nilsen who builds them doesn't just try and copy how they were made in the 1950's, he measures all the readings from specific pickups and recreates how that pickup sounds.

Cream T Pickups - Guitar Store | Liverpool & Ormskirk (creamtpickupsdirect.com)

8 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Hi Elmut, welcome to the forum and your guitar is a beauty!

If I was looking at changing pickups, the first place that I would look at is Cream T pickups.  Everyone seems to give them great reviews.  Thomas Nilsen who builds them doesn't just try and copy how they were made in the 1950's, he measures all the readings from specific pickups and recreates how that pickup sounds.

Cream T Pickups - Guitar Store | Liverpool & Ormskirk (creamtpickupsdirect.com)

Thx! I looked at the site and some videos.  These pickups are amazing.