Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Newbie

robinsondd

Hi all,

I'm 65 years old and recently retired.  I've played/dabbled with guitars since I was 18.  In the 80's I had a room mate who's brother majored in Classical music.  He had a Gibson Les Paul Custom Blonde and a Fender 25th anniversary guitar.  It was silver in color.  I had the privilege to play these guitars for several years.  My room mate played a Fender Bass Guitar.  Then life got in the way.  I got married and had a Coast Guard career.  I got into blue grass music about 7 years ago and purchased a Martin D-18.  It's best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played.  My brother in law recently started to learn how to play the guitar.  He has a decent inexpensive acoustic and recently bought a Godin Session HT Matte electric guitar.  That got me wanting an electric guitar too.  I kind of settled on the Epiphone 59 Les Paul Guitar.  It has decent reviews.  But I've learned that they are hard to come by nowadays.  So, I said the heck with it, I'm going to treat myself and get a Gibson Les Paul.  Today, I bought a 1950's Les Paul Standard Tobacco Burst.  It should arrive at my house next Monday.   The difference since the 80's and today?  The internet!  Songs and lessons are available today that were not back then.  Can't wait!

• Like 1