Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to figure out what model this SJ is

HODLmyToaster

15 minutes ago, HODLmyToaster said:

I don't think the 37 gets sharp, like the one I bought. You know how Martins are you  can play ten 28's and they  all sound different, thats why i wanted to make sure i snagged this one. Loved it too much, didn't want to drop the money but whatever.  I will I am not a fan of the relic guitar stuff, but quickly got over that. 

I can record this week! 

Do you want a video just on the SJ or SJ vs the 37?

Not a fan of the relic thing either - but sometimes when it isn't overdone it both looks cool and prevents you from all the first-ding-anxiety (I assume). By the way just first-dinged my slope shouldered D-18 the other day. A round scar on the right upper bout. Chose to take is as the final sign this is a keeper. 

I will await your decision, but if possible then why not show both the SJ and the 37. Logic bein' better double than half [thumbup]

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Not a fan of the relic thing either - but sometimes when it isn't overdone it both looks cool and prevents you from all the first-ding-anxiety (I assume). By the way just first-dinged my slope shouldered D-18 the other day. A round scar on the right upper bout. Chose to take is as the final sign this is a keeper. 

I will await your decision, but if possible then why not show both the SJ and the 37. Logic bein' better double than half [thumbup]

You got it boss SJ and 37!

You know I've never played a D-18 : (

Eventually I want to get a smaller body guitar thats all hog and thinking M-20 or the Martin OM, but martins to me that are not dreads weird me out for some reason. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HODLmyToaster said:

You got it boss SJ and 37!

You know I've never played a D-18 : (

Eventually I want to get a smaller body guitar thats all hog and thinking M-20 or the Martin OM, but martins to me that are not dreads weird me out for some reason. 

I played 3 from 15-M series : The 000-15SM, the 00-15 and the D-15M - all highly convincing. And all characterized by mellow-warm voices.

Now I look forward to the film.

19 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I played 3 from 15-M series : The 000-15SM, the 00-15 and the D-15M - all highly convincing. And all characterized by mellow-warm voices.

Now I look forward to the film.

Dig it my man.

What capos you using?

by the way the 37 is loud af and super powerful, its like heavy metal folk ****. 

Anyways ive been going through so many string sets, nickel strings mellow it out a lot. 

Waiting to try my santa cruz tension strings (those are my favorite strings ever by a country mile)

23 hours ago, HODLmyToaster said:

just on the inside with  the orange sticker

weird, that's the only serial number? that's odd, mine's definitely got it stamped on the neck block. Maybe this is an example of them figuring out what the TV spec was going to be 😉

Just now, jchabalk said:

weird, that's the only serial number? that's odd, mine's definitely got it stamped on the neck block. Maybe this is an example of them figuring out what the TV spec was going to be 😉

lol, who knows.  I am gonna record a video of it tomorrow and post it along side a fight between the SJ vs the 37 AA

In the words of Mortal Combat, "fight".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HODLmyToaster said:

by the way the 37 is loud af and super powerful, its like heavy metal folk ****. 

Anyways ive been going through so many string sets, nickel strings mellow it out a lot. 

Waiting to try my santa cruz tension strings (those are my favorite strings ever by a country mile)

I happen to have one of these guitars too - and love it. I'm quite happy with the EJ17 (D'Addario Medium Phosphor Bronze)

BUT i've been wanting to try those Santa Cruz strings. Which tension are you using on which guitar?

Just now, jchabalk said:

I happen to have one of these guitars too - and love it. I'm quite happy with the EJ17 (D'Addario Medium Phosphor Bronze)

BUT i've been wanting to try those Santa Cruz strings. Which tension are you using on which guitar?

I use low tension, even on dreads.  They just sound unreal, sadly their lifespan is short imo. 

Favorite strings (in order):

Santa Cruz Tension

Martin Retros 

Martin Folk n Steel 

Everything else is whatevs to me

Been looking forward to this comparison - and what a treat to receive in the h-phones. The Mart. clearly has more horsepower, even with the folk-strings. It's a mighty strong guitar - and how I admire the look of that particular top-hue meeting those seriously dark rosewood sides - not to mention the magnificent  back there. 

The Gibson is of course a charmer in its own right. No decal, okay - and being almost 15 years old it should be opened up by now. I believe we hear that - softer and polite as it is, , , though it would be easier for me to judge if you drove bronze or ph. bronze strings. Never mind, , , you are 1 very lucky acoustic player with those 2 within reach, , , and then the HD-28V in the wing. 

Thanx ^ enjoy the switch the 3

P.S. - One of the cool things about bein' on this Board is to hear others play and of course see the guitars for then to go in and pick up your own.                                                                                                                                           Guess most of us here recognize this as highly inspiring. . 

What do you prefer for acoustics, Gibson or Martins or some random builder?

I have to say, we used to have a store here before it closed (they retired) and the selection was insane. 

Martins to Froggy Bottom acoustics!

If you haven't had a chance to play a Huss and Dalton, you need to try  one.  I really dig that company, i will say for acoustics i don't get into collins or santa cruz or taylor.