Gibson Brands Forums

Recent ES125 acquisition question:

bill66912

Hi everyone -

New poster, user and new owner of an old ES125 here, asking some questions to those that are in the know.

I've recently acquired the below ES125.  I see a serial number through on of the F holes in the body; what I can read reads:  Y5022____7.  There appears to be some missing characters between the last "2" and the last character of "7".

From what I can tell on my own, this appears to be a 1953 model?  The tuners that came with the guitar were missing pegs on all one side; so I've replaced them with tuners purchased from Reverb that were claimed to be from a '53 ES125 also - but are considerable smaller than the pegs that were on the guitar when I bought it.

Just looking to validate the age, and get some semblance of valuation of the instrument.  From what I can tell, everything else on the instrument appears original.  I've put new strings on it, and it plays very nice, and even the electric facilities work!  Amazing quality.

Thanks very much in advance for anyone's input.

IMG_0878.png.e528f8b3e1a771eb352931fab5834b18.png

From this single small photo, I can tell it's a 1950 or later ES-125. As you found, a FON beginning with a Y is from 1953.

The formula for the plastic parts changed throughout the 50s and some were prone to shrinking or breaking down.  In your position, I probably would have removed the tuners and got some modern, pre-aged reproductions.

The market has been crazy this year. A year ago, I would say it's worth $1500-2000, depending on condition. People are asking a lot more than that now, but not getting it. Sale prices, excluding really pristine examples, are sitting closer to $2000 today.

10 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

From this single small photo, I can tell it's a 1950 or later ES-125. As you found, a FON beginning with a Y is from 1953.

The formula for the plastic parts changed throughout the 50s and some were prone to shrinking or breaking down.  In your position, I probably would have removed the tuners and got some modern, pre-aged reproductions.

The market has been crazy this year. A year ago, I would say it's worth $1500-2000, depending on condition. People are asking a lot more than that now, but not getting it. Sale prices, excluding really pristine examples, are sitting closer to $2000 today.

Thank you very much for your response and insight!  I believe the first character in the FON to be a Y, but I suppose it could be a V also.  So either 1953 or '56.  Either way, its old and really in remarkable condition for its vintage.

Just now, bill66912 said:

Thank you very much for your response and insight!  I believe the first character in the FON to be a Y, but I suppose it could be a V also.  So either 1953 or '56.  Either way, its old and really in remarkable condition for its vintage.

Whoops, apologies for the early send there.  Thank you also for your estimate on valuation.  I paid $1000 for the instrument; but it was purchased from a friend and I want to do the right thing if its worth more than that.  I've replaced the tuners, strings and have purchased a hardshell case on Reverb; but apart from that I've done nothing else to the guitar.  The nut is worn, the low E buzzes occasionally; but that's all.  Thank you very much again for your response!

- Bill Schmidt

3 hours ago, bill66912 said:

Whoops, apologies for the early send there.  Thank you also for your estimate on valuation.  I paid $1000 for the instrument; but it was purchased from a friend and I want to do the right thing if its worth more than that.  I've replaced the tuners, strings and have purchased a hardshell case on Reverb; but apart from that I've done nothing else to the guitar.  The nut is worn, the low E buzzes occasionally; but that's all.  Thank you very much again for your response!

- Bill Schmidt

they're some of the last vintage gibsons that can be had relatively cheap and sounds really killer for what they do! i love mine for blues/americana and early rock and roll.  paired up with a jhs twin twelve pedal and it can really roar, just watch the howl too close to the amp!

Edited by cunningham26