Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to find info/part from a vintage Texan

Walt Felix

Hi Everyone, After her passing, while cleaning out my mom's house, I came across one of my Grandfather's acoustics that I decided to keep. He passed away in the early 80s.   It is an FT-79N Texan.  The best I've been able to determine after a bit of Googling, looks to be possibly a 1967-8 (6 digit SN - 214496).   It seems to be in pretty good shape, with some minor a lacquer checking but not bad.  But the adjustable bridge (which I suspect may have been replaced at some point) has a small crack and is lifting. To the best I can determine, it should be rosewood but it almost looks like it has a plastic base which is why I suspect it's been replaced.  I'm guessing it's probably worth fixing, what would be the correct bridge and where could I find one?    What else can you tell me about this Guitar? 

51415435868_123c0b0e05_b[1].jpg

51414424962_5d7c7d68fa_b[1].jpg

Edited by Walt Felix

Hi Walt!

Welcome! Stunner of a guitar and looks like it is in amazing shape! That actually could be  the original bridge- gibson used an injection-molded adjustable plastic bridge for a few years on j45/j50/epiphones. most had rosewood though, so maybe it got sent back to the factory for a repair or something like that. cracks like the one you have are quite common on those plastic bridges, and you can have a rosewood bridge made and you'll be in ship shape. 

From the serial it appears yours is from late '63 or early '64, super desirable because of a guy named McCartney using a texan used to write some little diddy called Yesterday.

more info on plastic bridges here

This is actually a 1964  model. Like most Gibson (or Gibson-made) flattops from that period, it has a plastic bridge.

You can get the replacement pretty easily. If you insist on it, I have one from another 1964 model I could sell you.

But everyone, including me, will tell you to take it to a qualified luthier to have a proper wooden bridge installed. That's why I have a loose bridge sitting here, and you'll find many, if not most, guitars with that bridge have been replaced. The luthier may find that the bridge plate inside has delaminated, which is also fairly common. For about $200, you'll leave with a guitar that sounds much better, without hurting its $6,000 value.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised it's from around those years.  I though it was a little later, but my knowledge of it is limited to Google searchs. I know it was my grandfather's who was in a country band back then.  He had that and another Gibson which I don't know anything about. My mom traded the Gibson years ago to a local guy for guitar lessons for my younger brother.  The way I understood it was the guy passed on this one.  It sat in her house until her passing a few years back.  Since I also took lessons as kid, I decided to keep it when we were cleaning out the house.  I play it a bit, but never that proficient.  Broke a string the other night and started looking for info on replacing the cracked bridge, that's what lead me here.  Definitely seems like I should have a wooden bridge installed.