Gibson Brands Forums

1964 ES-335 Reissue vs. ES-335 Figured

arftown

17 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I own several modern Gibsons with different modern versions of Humbuckers.. I’ve played just about everything from 1959 PAF’s to just about every HB from then to now.. I have never heard a Humbucker that sounds as good as the PAF’s in my old 1959 ES-345 Stereo.. There was nothing old man about them! They did it all! So far, IMO, none compare.. Some come close but still, no Cigar..

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I read you - but without bein' an expert also know that a part of the PAF-legend is that they were so uneven, , , unsystematized. . 

To my ears the T-type Calibrated seem to have a basically different updated nature.

If watching the film merciful-evans sat up in post # 4, you'll see the the T-type Calibrated are a tip of the hat to a version called T-tops from plus/minus 1970.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Check from 2:57. 

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

If watching the film merciful-evans sat up in post # 4, you'll see the the T-type Calibrated are a tip of the hat to a version called T-tops from plus/minus 1970.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Check from 2:57. 

I’m not seeing any film on T-Type Calibrated Thread #4?

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Never mentioned that thread. Roll back to the previous page here.

I like his Threads.. The problem I have with ones like this are.. Most Guitars sound good at low volumes through just about any Amp. Tube or Digital. He’s recording into Pro Tools or Logic & it’s a polished Mix.

They all sound different live. He’s not comparing to anything.. Just commenting on one particular Guitar..

There are lots of good Guitars.. I’m not arguing that.. I’m just stating my opinion based on all the Guitars I’ve played & have owned.. IMO Vintage 1959 PAF Humbuckers in the 1959 ES335, ES345 or Les Pauls are the Top of the Top….

Here’s a random video of one guys basic Video making process.. I’m sure Phil’s is something like this.. Maybe better..  Point being they are Produced & aren’t real live representations.. Who knows what all has been done?

On 2/11/2024 at 8:08 AM, Larsongs said:

On 2/11/2024 at 8:08 AM, Larsongs said:

Here’s a random video of one guys basic Video making process.. I’m sure Phil’s is something like this.. Maybe better..  Point being they are Produced & aren’t real live representations.. Who knows what all has been done?

Well, , if you are sceptical about the testers not providing decent tests (but wanting to cheat), the Tube isn't the place for you.  Then again you seem to be experienced enough to both evaluate the presented sounds and the people behind them. In my opinion most of them do a good job - they are passionate about the trade and careful for their own & their shop's reputation. 

If once landing under a black cloud here, there's hardly a way out. Soon the rumour will undermine your platform and drag it down the swamps. 

Edited by E-minor7

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Well, , if you are sceptical about the testers not providing decent tests (but wanting to cheat), the Tube isn't the place for you.  Then again you seem to be experienced enough to both evaluate the presented sounds and the people behind them. In my opinion most of them do a good job - they are passionate about the trade and careful for their own & their shop's reputation. 

If once landing under a black cloud here, there's hardly a way out. Soon the rumour will undermine your platform and drag it down the swamps. 

They are producing Videos.. Short Movies.. That is also an Artform. I have nothing against them. It’s a lot of work.. And can cost a lot. Some work with modest gear, some work with high end gear. Most make good Short Movies.. Like movies they use all the Tricks of the Trade to make them as good as they can.. Some are ok & some are great.. In a way it’s like a Recording Studio & a Movie Set..

A live performance of a Song in a Concert usually doesn’t sound like a Studio Produced Record.. Unless of course they essentially bring the Studio with them & many do these days..  But, those are also polished Studio like Productions..

As for the raw truth of how Guitars sound you really need to go to a Store & play them.. Without the Production equipment..

I will say they do offer lots of information as to how they’re built. What they’re made of. Where they’re built etc…

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

They are producing Videos.. Short Movies.. That is also an Artform. I have nothing against them. It’s a lot of work.. And can cost a lot. Some work with modest gear, some work with high end gear. Most make good Short Movies.. Like movies they use all the Tricks of the Trade to make them as good as they can.. Some are ok & some are great.. In a way it’s like a Recording Studio & a Movie Set..

A live performance of a Song in a Concert usually doesn’t sound like a Studio Produced Record.. Unless of course they essentially bring the Studio with them & many do these days..  But, those are also polished Studio like Productions..

As for the raw truth of how Guitars sound you really need to go to a Store & play them.. Without the Production equipment..

I will say they do offer lots of information as to how they’re built. What they’re made of. Where they’re built etc…

Point taken - but  the knowledge of those finer nuances needed before actually pressing the green button isn't necessary when trying to navigate on the 'overall sea' of a model or a series.                                                               At that stage the videos often do spectacularly good jobs as compasses and path-finders. Would be a shame to rule them out. 

20 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Point taken - but  the knowledge of those finer nuances needed before actually pressing the green button isn't necessary when trying to navigate on the 'overall sea' of a model or a series.                                                               At that stage the videos often do spectacularly good jobs as compasses and path-finders. Would be a shame to rule them out. 

Some are informative & some are entertaining.. Some are both.. 5 Watt World is one.

The reviews can be very helpful. But, I would take their Demo’s of Guitars with a grain of Salt..

• Like 1