Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Gibson ...No serial number.

Jamesway49

This looks like a 1948/1949 J-45 in excellent condition. The "lot of work" that I can see is just new tuner buttons and bridge pins - that's about $40 worth of parts if you really splurge on the bridge pins.

There may be structural issues I can't see, and at that age a neck reset is probably necessary, but this would be a dream guitar to stumble upon for sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pohatu771 said:

This looks like a 1948/1949 J-45 in excellent condition. The "lot of work" that I can see is just new tuner buttons and bridge pins - that's about $40 worth of parts if you really splurge on the bridge pins.

There may be structural issues I can't see, and at that age a neck reset is probably necessary, but this would be a dream guitar to stumble upon for sale.

Thank you ! That's great news. The client gave me a 3/4 Global guitar (free) but was reluctant to let go of the Gibson .  Now I  can see why !

I do believe there was a hairline crack near the base of the neck where it angles up towards the fret board. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just came into possession of what apears to be that exact guitar.. the only difference being the knobs on the machine heads on mine are chrome.. it was given to me by my 90 yr old nieghbor whose yard ive been taking care of for the last ten years.. he said he bought it used when he was 13 and all he new was it was a gibson jumbo.. ive restrung it with bronze as im a finger picker.. the sound it truly amazing.. is there a way to tell the modle?.. like a southern or hummingbird?.. or value?.. should i take steps to preserve?