Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1967 J45 ADJ Vs New Historic 1942 Banner J45

Manley74

Greetings, I have a 1967 J45 I love the guitar. I have also been looking at the 1942 Banner J45 online. There are no stores anywhere near me where I can actually put my hands on one. I have watched many Youtube videos and they of course sound great. I am curious just how different the Tone, the sound and projection might be from my 1967? I am expecting the playability to be similar? If anyone has had the chance to play both a vintage 60's J45 and one of these new Banner J45's and could give me your opinions on the differences in the sound I would appreciate your input.

Would also be interested in feedback on the 50's J45 Reissue for the same reasons as above.

Thank you!

Edited by Manley74

• Manley74 changed the title to Gibson 1967 J45 ADJ Vs New Historic 1942 Banner J45
12 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Does your 67 have the adjustable bridge?  If so, it's going to sound very different from either 1942 or 50s reissue.  I've not played the 42 Banner but have seen many a clip with them and they sound fantastic.  the 50s reissue has a big chunky neck where I'm guessing yours is much slimmer and narrower.

Yes it has an adjustable bridge I replaced the saddle with adjustable bone not fixed. I actually love the neck on my 67 (My first Gibson ever I was partial to Martins) I would not mind a larger neck either I have seen the videos where they talk about it the larger profile.  The sound is great on my 67 not very loud but great. I wonder how much the hardware in the soundboard is restricting it. This is why I am thinking the Banner 42 or 50’s might sound even better? 

8 minutes ago, Manley74 said:

Yes it has an adjustable bridge I replaced the saddle with adjustable bone not fixed. I actually love the neck on my 67 (My first Gibson ever I was partial to Martins) I would not mind a larger neck either I have seen the videos where they talk about it the larger profile.  The sound is great on my 67 not very loud but great. I wonder how much the hardware in the soundboard is restricting it. This is why I am thinking the Banner 42 or 50’s might sound even better? 

There will be a strong family resemblance tonally, but the difference in top woods, top bracing style, and  bridge/saddle combinations means there will also be noticeable differences.

The neck profiles will be quite different from each other. Which you prefer is simply a matter of  personal taste. I find a true late 60's neck a bit cramped.

There is a lot of hardware in the soundboard associated with the adjustable bridge. It may also come with a larger, thicker bridgeplate, which can make the top a bit harder to drive.

From what lots of folks here have said the adjustable bridge makes a J-45 sound quiter and brighter.    I also find the late 60s necks to small for my taste, but I've got pretty large hands.  

Here's a pretty interesting comparison video between the 50s reissue and the 60s reissue.  Yours is actually from the late 60s so it's not exactly the comparison you're talking about but it does show quite a difference between the two.

4 hours ago, Manley74 said:

Would also be interested in feedback on the 50's J45 Reissue for the same reasons as above.

I have a 1965 J-50 ADJ which is probably very similar to your J-45, however mine still has the original rosewood saddle. I got a 2020 60's J-50 re-issue last summer. The neck is different on the 50's re-issue and it also has a pickup. But pretty sure the construction of the guitar is the same otherwise.

First, I love the 60's J-50 re-issue, it's the only guitar I've been playing since I got it. But these have absolutely nothing in common with the real 1960's guitars other than appearance. They have a modern Gibson sound - which is a good thing IMO. However, it's not going to sound anything like your 1967 J-45. @zombywoof has pointed out the biggest difference, the heavy plywood(?) plate behind the ADJ bridge on the 60's guitars, this is why they are not so loud. The re-issues don't have that, the ADJ bridge is braced the same as the other modern Gibsons.

If you like the neck on your 1967, seems like you'd want the 60's re-issue instead of the 50's. The neck on my 60's re-issue has the same nut width as my real 1965 J-50 (1-9/16") however the real 1965 has a much more slender carve to it. So they are actually quite different, the re-issue 60's neck is really more similar to a J-50 Standard than a real 1960's guitar. But the neck on the 1950's re-issue is going to be much fatter than your 1967 J-45.

Edited by Boyd

3 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

From what lots of folks here have said the adjustable bridge makes a J-45 sound quiter and brighter

Then, as usual, I don't agree with "lots of folks here".  🤣 In addition to the 60's re-issue I also have a 2008 J-50, which should be very similar to a J-45 Standard. It is not any louder than the 60's re-issue but the sound has a somewhat different quality. Very similar, but I'd say the 60's re-issue with the ADJ bridge is a bit brighter.

33 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I have a 1965 J-50 ADJ which is probably very similar to your J-45, however mine still has the original rosewood saddle. I got a 2020 60's J-50 re-issue last summer. The neck is different on the 50's re-issue and it also has a pickup. But pretty sure the construction of the guitar is the same otherwise.

First, I love the 60's J-50 re-issue, it's the only guitar I've been playing since I got it. But these have absolutely nothing in common with the real 1960's guitars other than appearance. They have a modern Gibson sound - which is a good thing IMO. However, it's not going to sound anything like your 1967 J-45. @zombywoof has pointed out the biggest difference, the heavy plywood(?) plate behind the ADJ bridge on the 60's guitars, this is why they are not so loud. The re-issues don't have that, the ADJ bridge is braced the same as the other modern Gibsons.

If you like the neck on your 1967, seems like you'd want the 60's re-issue instead of the 50's. The neck on my 60's re-issue has the same nut width as my real 1965 J-50 (1-9/16") however the real 1965 has a much more slender carve to it. So they are actually quite different, the re-issue 60's neck is really more similar to a J-50 Standard than a real 1960's guitar. But the neck on the 1950's re-issue is going to be much fatter than your 1976 J-45.

Very helpful thank you!