Gibson Brands Forums

Is this legit?

Pete Bell

Hi all.

I've seen this sunburst J200 for sale for £3700. The serial number suggests 1976, but the sticker says Bozeman, which would mean post-1989. So something doesn't look right to me.

The guy selling it says his dad bought it in the early 1990s. Were there fakes around back then?

Thanks,

Pete

IMG-20220218-WA0006.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete Bell said:

I thought by 2006 serial numbers had 9 digits? The Gibson page on numbering says an 8-digit number starting 00 is 1976

That has exactly the same serial number format as my 2006 Southern Jumbo.

I can't tell you anything about the guitar except that it is a label with a real 2006 serial number.

A 2006 guitar and a 1976 guitar should be pretty easy to tell apart based on physical characteristics and condition. J-200 experts here may comment.

Post pictures of the front and back of the guitar.

A 1976 guitar will have a 00 prefix, so it could in theory have the same serial number as a guitar built in the modern era. The label tells you that it is a Bozeman guitar, however.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

3 hours ago, Pete Bell said:

I thought by 2006 serial numbers had 9 digits? The Gibson page on numbering says an 8-digit number starting 00 is 1976

A 1976 J200 would have a rectangular label and would say "J-200 Artist". There are numerous other ways to distinguish a 76 from an 06 but that is the tip of the iceberg.

I lost track of Gibson's numbering system in the 00's. We're running out of headstock space.

Unlike some other companies, Gibson has not maintained a single, consistent, sequential numbering system over time. This sometimes results in duplicating serial numbers at various times in Gibson's history. You can  generally but not always correctly identify the actual year by a combination of the label format, serial number format,   and physical characteristics of the guitar.

4 hours ago, Pete Bell said:

1975-1977 serial numbers are eight digits and are on a decal on the back of the headstock.

In 1977 they switched to a different 8-digit format. Kalamazoo used production numbers 001-499 and Nashville used 500-999. When Gibson Acoustic opened, they took over 001-299, and Gibson USA used 300-999.

In July 2005, Gibson USA added a batch number and made it a 9-digit format. Gibson Acoustic did not change. When Gibson Memphis opened, they used the 1977 format as well.

Gibson USA switched to a different 9-digit format in 2014, but switched back in 2018.

Gibson's own page is incomplete and outdated.

The serial number of this guitar is January 29, 2006, the 21st guitar stamped that day. A serial number beginning with "00" can be a 1976, or it could be made between 2000 and 2009 in the first 99 days of the year.

Edited by pohatu771
  • Like 1