Gibson Brands Forums

Need help verifying exact year Gibson Country Western 60s

anciar

32 minutes ago, anciar said:

Gibson Country Western Model (I believe it to be 1963-1968 due to the adjustable bridge) but the serials in the 60s are wacky, anyone have any idea what year it would be based on the serial "512152" or any resource to find out? would be a huge help

https://i.ibb.co/mGnFkZG/image.png

Based on the serial number, would be either 1965 or 1968. Based on the screw-on pickguard, I'd say 1968.

5 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Pickguard - as j45nick this is probably a 1968 - seen on the down-belly bridge too. 
Wonder if it's heavy braced. Can't really see it on the pic.  

thank you for that, what do you mean by heavy braced?  I can check right now

1 minute ago, anciar said:

thank you for that, what do you mean by heavy braced?  I can check right now

In 68 the braces - the inner structure - became thicker to fortify the guitars. This continued for maaaaany years, but stole the precious original sound'n'feel of these guitars. 
Send at close-up taken through the s-hole. 

Would make sense. 1968 was the year various specs changed, , , sometimes bit by bit. So you may have a mix between the original and the then new.                                                                                                                                                       We now need to hear about the nut width. How wide is it measured where the fret-board ends. 

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Would make sense. 1968 was the year various specs changed, , , sometimes bit by bit. So you may have a mix between the original and the then new.                                                                                                                                                       We now need to hear about the nut width. How wide is it measured where the fret-board ends. 

just did a measurement 1.5 in nut

2 minutes ago, anciar said:

ah interesting, yeah def the slim knife one, would that be preferred?

Preferences are subjective. The fat braces from 68 to 70 can be good - yet generally speaking the 2 slim versions are considered the treasures. Very 'sought after', which will be reflected in the price. If you are about to buy a vintage square shouldered Gibson and can live with the narrow nut, the CW above is promising. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Preferences are subjective. The fat braces from 68 to 70 can be good - yet generally speaking the 2 slim versions are considered the treasures. Very 'sought after', which will be reflected in the price. If you are about to buy a vintage square shouldered Gibson and can live with the narrow nut, the CW above is promising. 

its funny how hard it was to find info and you've been a treasure trove of information. thanks again

Thanx - and yes, the exchange behind us holds a lot of basic info about these guitars.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I picked a good deal of it up on these pages over the years and have gathered a collection of these. 

Here's a sibling to 'yours'. . 

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-hummingbird-1968-natural-6