Gibson Brands Forums

Emotional reaction to playing music

saturn

19 hours ago, rct said:

It's why I don't really do much Allmans, even though everyone expects me to want to.  Takes a lot of chemistry to do that, I am so glad you guys pulled that off.  We only do Melissa now, a bar band version of it.  Meh.

But man, there is a record from long ago, turn of the centuryish, with Warren and I think Allen was still alive.  An Evening With, I think it was Beacon, may not have been.  "We got a long time to go this evening, so if you don't hear what you want to hear well that's just tough", says Dickie.  And then "This is an old song called Bloooo Skah", and they lay into it.  Keep in mind, they had not done Blue Sky out in like forever, so it was really a joy to hear them do that again, and of course that tour I got to see them do it quite a few times.

So anyway, if you love that old coot like I do, you owe it to yourself to track that one down and listen to that Blue Sky.  There's a guy playin that song that he's been doing since he was a young 25 or thereabouts.  He stands back there off the verses and choruses and Warren just goes to town.  I do love Warren, but he ain't the Allmans.

Anyway, just listen to that guy chord through that song while Warren just wails away.  It makes me sniffle every time I hear it he does it just so...loving.  He just loves that song and man that tour was some of the best Blue Skys I ever did see, they would start it with a bit of Franklins Tower(?) from The Dead, I don't know them at all so I'm guessing.

So anyway again, yeah.  Blue Sky.  Tears.  THAT is why I don't do that song.  Can't get near that one recording ever.

Fast forward to 200...7, 8 maybe?  The Outlaws did Prisoner, a great Billy Jones song, one of his favorites.  This guy Dave Carpenter did the Billy stuff, and sang it.  I wept.  Hard.  Never thought I'd see them do that one again and man they just murdered that thing.  Mrs said you can stop crying now, but jeez, it was like as good as seeing Billy do it all that time ago.

I would play that song in a band with SurfPup. Anybody remember him?

rct

14 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yes and miss his input here.

Jc & I chat from time to time. he's doing great. playing a lot in Florida ...