Gibson Brands Forums

white pins with an ebony sound?

egoidealmusic

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

I'm making a set of bridge pins out of White Holly Wood for the OP to test out. I just like to tinker around when I have time.

I just started today. I thought the wood would be whiter but it is whiter than Maple. My first mistake was trying to squeeze  too many (9) out of the block. If I don't yield 6 good ones I'll cut them a little larger. Cut a 1/4" diameter to hold on to then put it in the CNC router and turned the shape. Holding the top of the 5 degree taper at ,220" per 2A spec. I'll rig something up to slot them and cut them to length. The one picture shows a couple turned pins next to a couple plastic pins and a bone saddle blank setting on top of  a piece of maple.

52132787246_2cfe8b51a1_b.jpg

52132811203_fd20d7e702_b.jpg

52133028669_991731827a_b.jpg

52132787296_926e5bca4c_b.jpg

Those are looking great!  Can't wait to give them a shot--thank you again!!!

• 1 month later...

So, to update all, Dave F sent me these amazing white wood pins.  They're sill standing a bit proud and need a touch more sanding (once the blisters from getting them here ease up), but they sound absolutely amazing.  The soften the sharp highs and really bring out the beauty of each string--exactly the way that ebony pins do.  Sorry the picture isn't that great, but you cn see that they really fit the bill of keeping the nice off white look while bringing more wood to the game.  Can't thank Dave enough!!!

Good people here on this forum, and I'm honored to be here!

Dave's pins.jpg