Gibson Brands Forums

Checkin in

CROWB8

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This was called gaudy by one member. D-41

5dGkAqN.jpg

Well, the way the inner bracing is, and all that abalone inlay, it looks angelic. Just viewing a pic of the 41 gives me a religious experience. The head stock is even bound. Add "angelic" to your list of adjectives.

23 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Well, the way the inner bracing is, and all that abalone inlay, it looks angelic. Just viewing a pic of the 41 gives me a religious experience. The head stock is even bound. Add "angelic" to your list of adjectives.

Really expensive is maybe what I would say. It was a killer axe, maybe too killer. I'll never buy a guitar that expensive again.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here is the one and only Gibson acoustic I owed. The one I played in GC sounded better but was new. This one I got used for $400 less. It didn't sound as good and is gone. It's a J-15. I don't have a pic of the back, and the back was one of the coolest I have ever seen. 

y1FWpoy.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 string😍. Been 50 yrs since I played one of those. Don't know why. They truly sing. Love the dark tone wood on the D15's. Makes one feel warm just looking at 'em. IDK much about HD28V's. That 00-28, that an older one? I've played one recently. But it had gold appointments. 

13 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

12 string😍. Been 50 yrs since I played one of those. Don't know why. They truly sing. Love the dark tone wood on the D15's. Makes one feel warm just looking at 'em. IDK much about HD28V's. That 00-28, that an older one? I've played one recently. But it had gold appointments. 

The 00-28 was a 2019. It was/is a great guitar. I am just trying to fund a M-36.

If you played one with gold tuners and frets it was a 00-28 Modern Deluxe. I played two Modern Deluxe's. One was a D-28 and one was a D-18. Nice, but I hate gold on guitars, and they are a lot more than the standard model.

I have my D-15M and 000-18 on Reverb to fund the M-36. I have it priced great, and got a offer for a trade from one guy, and one guy wanting more pics of the 18. Other than that crickets.

D-15's about a half a year ago were $1299 with a hard shell case. Now they are $1499. And they are USA made. It was one of the best deal out there. Thanks COVID.

A HD-28V is supposed to be like an older D-28. The V stands for Vintage Series, which they no longer make. The H signifies Herringbone trim, and it had a chunkier neck, and it has scalloped bracing. And like any 28 was LOUD.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

000-28. I traded my BB King for this. I had about 5 seconds of traders remorse as I drove away. Then I got home, and started to play it, and that remorse was gone. Of all the guitars I own, this is the one I would run in the house to grab if it was on fire after the wife and dog are out. It had Grover closed backs on it and I changed them to Grover open backs.

4k0Z5rL.jpg

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here was a real 1957 ES-225TD and some of my album collection, I had for a while. Light as a feather, but it feed back like crazy, and would not stay in tune.

fDSemgb.jpg

Read a long article about the 1957 ES-225TD specificly. It noted a few things. Feed back was very controllable at volume. Suprised me. And that being the would be predecessor to the 335, it had a more ballanced volume due to the bridge pup having a spacer. Also mentioned was an alt wrap around bridge which helped stabilize tuning and heightened tonal qualities. Plus, it's kind of an unsung hero (my words), in that it didn't get the aclaim it deserved because it wasn't played by anyone famous at the time.

Did you try wraping strings over the bridge at all? Mentioned not staying in tune.......

Edited by CROWB8

16 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Read a long article about the 1957 ES-225TD specificly. It noted a few things. Feed back was very controllable at volume. Suprised me. And that being the would be predecessor to the 335, it had a more ballanced volume due to the bridge pup having a spacer. Also mentioned was an alt wrap around bridge which helped stabilize tuning and heightened tonal qualities. Plus, it's kind of an unsung hero (my words), in that it didn't get the aclaim it deserved because it wasn't played by anyone famous at the time.

Did you try wraping strings over the bridge at all? Mentioned not staying in tune.......

The only way to string it was to wrap over the bridge on a trapeze style. What a POS of engineering that is/was.

Built this too. Warmoth neck and a Fender California Series body. Rio Grande pups. In between the tone and volume knob, I installed a switch to make the humbucker a single coil.

o2EYTiR.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper